Digital transformation in Bosnia and Herzegovina is slowly gaining speed. Yet, its full potential remains largely untapped. Global practice shows that to build a public sector that is fit for the future, governments must “reinvent” themselves. Digital transformation is not just about new technologies, but requires an overhaul of organizational structures, work processes, skills, culture and mindset.
In August 2020, UNDP, in collaboration with the British Embassy in Bosnia an Herzegovina, has launched the Digital Transformation in the Public Sector Project (2020-2024), which aims to support authorities in their journey towards the country’s digital future by promoting new capabilities and leveraging technology and innovation for more effective and inclusive governance and public service delivery. In partnership with authorities and all relevant stakeholders, the Project will contribute to the following main results:
Enabling legal and policy environment accelerate digital transformation in the public sector;
Effective, people-centred and efficient e-government and e-services improve quality of life for citizens and ease of doing business;
Knowledge-sharing and networking among public sector stakeholders catalyse ideas and digital capacities.
Nurturing new skills and capabilities among political leaders and public servants across all government levels is central to setting in place a critical mass of agents of change who can move forward the digital agenda in the public sector, to the benefit of all citizens – including the most vulnerable ones - and businesses. By promoting and supporting innovation in the public sector, the Project will create a “safe haven” for pilot experimentation that can then be scaled up. Continuously seeking to demonstrate how technology can bring about fast, system-wide and tangible improvements in the way public services are delivered to the citizens and businesses, will serve as a powerful motivating factor. The Project will work with stakeholders across all government levels – state, entity, cantonal and local governments.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the guidance of the UNDP Governance Chief Technical Specialist, the Project Manager provides effective and efficient coordination of all components under the Project through a range of actions contributing to the planning, implementation, management, monitoring and reporting of the Project activities in line with the Project Document and the Multi-Year Work Plan.
The Project Manager applies and promotes the principles of results-based management, as well as client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations. He/she is responsible and accountable to the Project Board for the Project’s results.
The Project Manager works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations, Communications, the Accelerator Lab and other teams in the UNDP Country Office in Bosnia and Herzegovina and globally for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex project-related issues and information delivery. He/she also collaborates with other relevant UN/UNDP projects and other development. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
The Project Manager will ensure the provision of development services and products (commensurate with the scope of the Project) of the highest quality and standards to national counterparts, by driving innovative thinking and inspiring digital transformation in the public sector in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
More specifically, the Project Manager will perform the following tasks:
- Overall project management;
- Policy advice and technical guidance;
- Project monitoring, reporting and quality assurance based on the principle of result-based management;
- Knowledge management and gender equality;
- Partnership and advocacy.
- Functions / Expected Results
Overall Project management:
- Ensure sound Project management of and take full responsibility for the implementation of the Project, as per the Project documents and the UNDP rules and regulations;
- Provide direction and guidance to the Project Team;
- Report to the Project Board to assure the Project overall direction and integrity;
- Build, motivate and lead a high-performing team consisting of project personnel, expert consultants, service providers, and conduct performance assessments of the team, as per UNDP rules and regulations;
- Provide inputs in identification of linkages between the Project and other related projects led by UNDP, or beyond, maximizing the efficient and effective use of resources and facilitating meaningful complementarities among development interventions in the area;
- Secure proper and efficient use of the Project budget, as per the Project document and work plan;
- Manage financial allocations and approve expenditures according to authority delegated and ensure timely payments in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Apply UNDP programming tools and policies as explained in the Results Management Guide;
- Ensure overall coordination of the activities of the Project and meaningful synergies with other relevant UNDP/external Projects;
- Make sure that the short-term Project plans are fully in line with and contributing to the e-government priorities set by authorities in the country;
- Ensure proper use and maintenance of the Project’s equipment and office records and any other documentation by the Project personnel;
- Liaise with the Project Board, national counterparts, donors and all relevant stakeholders to ensure that Project results are achieved, and resources are managed efficiently and effectively;
- Prepares a detailed Project work plan, manage the procurement and the budget to assure timely and quality delivery of Project assignments in accordance with UNDP rules and procedures;
- Monitor Project implementation and activities versus set targets and indicators;
- Ensure high quality information and visibility of the Project activities to the mass media and stakeholders.
Policy advice and technical guidance:
- Provide conceptual guidance and technical advice to the Project team and Project counterparts in the area of digital transformation in the public sector;
- Provide strategic leadership and steer the policy, regulatory, innovation and pilot e-service design processes within the Project in line with the Project document, applying an open and inclusive leadership and ensuring broader compliance with relevant standards of the European Union;
- Guide the design of the Project comprehensive strategy and provide technical guidance in its delivery;
- Participate in project-level committees, policy and capacity development working groups and events;
- Provide technical advice to the UNDP Country Office programme in the area of digital governance.
Project monitoring, reporting and quality assurance based on the principle of result-based management:
- Review on a regular basis the Projects details, schedules, deliverables and budget as articulated in the Annual Work Plan and steer their timely and quality implementation together with the Project team;
- Monitor and analyse Project progress, using applicable monitoring & evaluation and risk management tools in ATLAS;
- Ensure highest quality of results that make the Project an outstanding intervention, pioneering efforts in this domain in the country;
- Manage and monitor the identified Project risks and issues; submit new risks and issues to the Project Board for consideration and decision if required; update the status of project risks and issues by maintaining the logs;
- Ensure timely submission of the Project Progress/ Annual Narrative and Financial Reports and other reports as may be required by the UNDP and Project Board;
- Monitor and analyse the project environment and progress – including from viewpoint of political environment, using applicable monitoring and evaluation and risk management tools where relevant;
- Advice on timely readjustment of the Project strategies and corrective actions as necessary;
- Prepare analytical reviews and systematically capture lessons learnt from the Project implementation; identify follow-up actions and submit them for consideration to the Project Board.
- Submit annual and other required progress reports to the Project Board and the UNDP and the donors.
Knowledge management and gender equality:
- Ensure wide dissemination and visibility of Project achievements;
- Support continuous learning by the Project team;
- Ensure dissemination of information and knowledge management within the team for effective Project implementation;
- Ensure that achieved Project key results, knowledge tools and products are shared with the UNDP wider programme and support their popularisation and application beyond the Project scope of work, as relevant;
- Manage the full transfer and sustainable future use of Projects deliverables, documents, files, equipment and materials to national beneficiaries;
- Ensure gender equality across all areas of Project work.
- Make sure that no one is left behind in the Project work and that the intervention does not deepen the digital gap.
Partnership and advocacy:
- Establish and maintain good working relations with relevant institutional and organisational partners at state, entity, cantonal and local government levels, as well as with the international community and other relevant stakeholders;
- Arrange, prepare and follow-up on meetings with direct stakeholders such as public officials, service providers, civil society, regional/international professional networks, and others that consolidate wider support to the Project objectives and expand its outreach;
- Lead advocacy efforts and mobilise wide support networks of partners behind the broader digital transformation agenda in Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Encourage active participation of all stakeholders in order to promote empowerment and ownership of national counterparts and stakeholders, with focus on policy, regulatory and strategic frameworks design;
- Reach out and interact with prominent and progressive public and non-governmental stakeholders in the Western Balkans and globally, who can contribute to achieving the digital transformation agenda in Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Ensure that the “people first” principle will be applied across all Project activities, particularly e-services;
- Animate effective dialogue with partners and among stakeholders and engage with relevant donors and contribute to UNDP resource mobilization efforts in the area of digital transformation in the public sector;
- Identify and support the realisation of synergetic initiatives and/or contribution from various stakeholders, which would add value and maximise the Project results.
- Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the efficient, effective, transparent and accountable implementation of the Project. More specifically, the impact of results will be:
- Visible progress in the implementation of the e-government and e-services priorities in the country;
- Improved policy and strategic frameworks in the domain, which also contribute to meeting the requirements for accession to the European Union and to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Positioning UNDP as trusted development partner of authorities and leader in the digital transformation domain;
- Contribution to achieving the e-government priorities set by authorities in Bosnia and Herzegovina, as well as of the UNDP Country Programme Document, particularly the priorities in the area of good governance;
- Paving the way for complementary interventions which maximize the Project effort from a portfolio viewpoint.
- Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda / Level 1.2: Preparing information for advocacy:
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management / Level 1.2: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis:
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work;
- Provides information for linkages across Project activities to help identify critical points of integration;
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects implementation;
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals;
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals in the area of digital transformation.
- Ability to develop, articulate, and achieve clear goals that are consistent with expected project activities and its output;
- Ability to foresee risks and develop mitigation strategies.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise / Level 1.2:
Fundamental knowledge of own discipline:
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- In-depth knowledge on development issues, especially in gender equality and sustainable development;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and Project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
- Promoting/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, disabilities, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people and partners fairly without favouritism;
- Self-development, initiative-taking, willingness to go “an extra mile”;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude and strong ability to continuously self-motivate;
- Ability to translate complex visions into actionable and customised to the country context work packages;
- Plans, prioritizes, and delivers tasks on time;
- Excellent diplomatic and interpersonal skills and ability to liaise effectively with government and stakeholders at the highest levels;
- Sound judgment and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent conceptualisation and analytical skills, as well as proven ability to draft documents in clear and concise manner;
- Excellent communication skills with excellent presentation skills;
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation;
- Building and promoting effective Project team;
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication;
- Creating an emotionally intelligent Project team;
- Managing conflict;
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning;
- Informed, fair and transparent decision making.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree in public administration, development studies, economics, political science or related studies or disciplines;
- BA degree with additional two years of experience may be accepted in lieu of MA.
- Minimum 5 years (7 years with BA) of relevant working experience in the design, management and implementation of projects and programmes in the area of democratic governance, public administration reform, digital transformation, e-government, policy and regulatory reforms in Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Rich previous experience in partnering and interaction with government counterparts from all levels of government in Bosnia and Herzegovina, as well as with the international community;
- Excellent understanding of the governance system in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Fluency in English and in the languages of the peoples of Bosnia and Herzegovina.