UNDP, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Closing Date for Applications:
The Project Manager (PM) will conduct all necessary coordination and management activities to successfully implement the project. The PM will work closely with the staff from inter alia MEFCC, zones, districts, kebeles, university staff and contracted NGOs / researchers. The PM will be based in the Project Management Unit (PMU) (in MEFCC) in Addis Ababa and report to the Project Board (PB).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee the implementation of the project activities in line with the Project Implementation Plan and under the guidance provided by the Project Board (PB);
- Liaise with MEFCC as the implementing agency and coordinate project activities to ensure that the activities in each results area are implemented in accordance with the project objectives;
- Leading the monitoring of project activities against the established indicators detailed in the project Logical Framework.
- Liaise with implementing partners to ensure the timely submission of project reports;
- Conduct field visits as required to verify project activities relative to stated targets;
- Facilitate troubleshooting options with the relevant agencies to remove any bottlenecks that might arise during project implementation;
- Manage the personnel of the PMU and its day-to-day activities, evaluate their annual performance and make recommendations with regard to their contract renewal;
- Ensure that the work plans and budgets are in conformity with the project objectives;
- Oversee the outsourcing by competitive tender, monitor the procurement of works, goods and services for the project and ensure execution according to the rules and guidelines in conformity with the project procurement procedures manual. Coordinate and manage all procurement requirements (contracts and consultancies in the project, including reviewing consultancy reports);
- Provide guidance to contractors and consultants engaged by the project;
- Plan and arrange PB meetings and serve as the Technical Secretary for the Board, prepare and circulate minutes of the meetings, and follow up on implementation of the PB decisions and actions agreed;
- Manage and monitor the project risks initially identified, submit new risks to the PB for consideration and decision on possible actions if required; update the status of these risks;
- Ensure that the financial management arrangements are in conformity with the UNDP regulations, and that all payment vouchers and payment orders are correctly authorized thereby ensuring that all expenditures are justified, within budget frames, and in line with project objectives;
- Ensure that audits are organized on time and resulting recommendations are acted upon;
- Keep the National Focal Point (NFP) informed about key project implementation matters to facilitate the NFP’s work as liaison officer with the GEF sector Ministries, other stakeholders and UNDP;
- Ensure appropriate public relations, awareness creation and marketing of the project among stakeholder groups and the public at large;
- Prepare periodic monitoring reports (technical and financial) of the project for submission to different agencies that are involved in the project implementation;
- oversee the preparation of monthly/quarterly/annual financial reports;
- quarterly project status reports;
- monitoring and evaluation reports;
- six-monthly Procurement Reports for the World Bank;
- annual financial statements for audit purposes.
- Organise and facilitate stakeholder consultations and project review meetings as required;
- Undertake closing out activities for the project which include final financial, procurement and technical reports, and the handing over of documents;
- Undertake any other activity that may be necessary for the effective management of the project.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism;
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- Functional Competencies:
- Ability to communicate effectively complex, technical information;
- Good management, coordination and organization skills to facilitate production of quality outputs in a timely manner;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of a team to produce quality outputs in a timely manner.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Advanced university degree (at least MSc. or equivalent) or Bachelor’s degree in geography, environmental sciences / management, environmental economics or another field relevant to the project.
Experience and Skills:
- At least 7 years of experience in a similar or related position;
- Proven track record of technical and managerial experience in the implementation of large-scale, multi-stakeholder projects, including financial management and oversight of projects;
- Extensive experience with project management, especially with project financed by multilateral organizations;
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work under pressure and to establish and maintain effective work relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Excellent skills in project planning, implementation, and team building;
- Ability to take initiative and to work independently, as well as part of a team;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Ability to lead effectively, and demonstrated excellent conflict resolution skills;
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of biodiversity and / or ecosystems issues, with special focus in forest / rangelands and payments for ecosystem services;
- Experience with and understanding of Ethiopia, including biodiversity protection issues and the CRGE will be an added advantage;
- Experience in writing project success stories, lessons learned and best practices;
- Knowledge of the GEF and UNDP funded projects and their technical and operational requirements is desirable.
- Language Requirements:
- Proficiency in English and Amharic. Knowledge of local languages will be an advantage.