Description of Saferworld and Pakistan Programme
Saferworld is an independent non-governmental organisation that works to prevent and reduce violent conflict and promote cooperative approaches to security. We work with civil society, governments and international organisations to encourage and support effective policies and practices through advocacy, research and policy development, and through supporting the actions of others. Established in 1989, we work with communities in South & South East Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Europe. We have 150 staff across the globe, and our Head Office is in London.
Saferworld’s Pakistan programme combines project implementation at the community level, dialogue, capacity building, policy research, networking and advocacy, and working with institutions and civil society at national, regional and international levels.
Over the next 3 years Saferworld, in consortium with local and regional think tanks and civil society organisations, will support the development of regional resilience mainly through creating space to harness emerging opportunities on regional economic and infrastructure interconnectivity and supporting structural cooperation across borders which contributes to stable and peaceful relations among the people of South Asia.
To succeed in this post you will be first and foremost a people person, with a flair for detail and a track record of getting things done. Able to motivate and lead teams, you will be comfortable and confident explaining Saferworld’s work to a wide range of senior external audiences, in both English and Urdu. You will bring your experience of detailed financial and project management to the task of building the skills of your team, and of managing the progress of projects. And you will enjoy the task of producing clearly written reports and publications, using your excellent command of written English.
The Project Manager will be responsible for the management of Saferworld’s project, ‘‘Regional dialogues and economic connectivity”. As a member of the Pakistan Country Team, the Project Manager will contribute to the development and implementation of Saferworld’s work in Pakistan and will work in close collaboration with civil society partners and other stakeholders.
Roles and Responsibilities
1. Strategy and programme development
- Contribute to the development of Saferworld’s Pakistan country strategy by providing regular analysis of political and security developments
- In collaboration with other regional and London-based staff, contribute to the development and implementation of Saferworld strategies for Pakistan and the Asia region
- Manage all aspects of multiple related projects to ensure the overall program is aligned to and directly supports the achievement of strategic objectives
2. Project management
- Develop and manage all aspects of project and programme engagement from planning, external vendor relationships, communications, resources, budget, change, risks and issues
- Develop comprehensive project plans to be shared with donors and partners as well as relevant internal colleagues.
- Develop the project’s scope and objectives, involving all relevant stakeholders and ensuring technical feasibility
- Develop a detailed project plan to track progress
- Track project performance, specifically to analyse the successful completion of short- and long-term goals
- Measure project performance using appropriate systems, tools and techniques
- Perform risk management to minimise project risks
- Create and maintain comprehensive project documentation
- Manage all post-delivery project needs including confirming project close with key stakeholders;
- Provide status reporting regarding project milestones, deliverable, dependencies, risks and issues, communicating to the relevant stakeholders
3. Staff management and development
- Recruit and lead a team that is fit for purpose, managing performance as needed.
- Set and continually manage project and programme expectations while delegating and managing deliverables with team members and stakeholders
- Delegate tasks and responsibilities to appropriate personnel
- Coach, mentor, motivate and supervise project and program teams
- Support a diverse and inclusive work environment
4. Funding and financial management
- Meet budgetary objectives and make adjustments to project constraints based on financial analysis
- Ensure resource availability and allocation
- Coordinate internal resources and third parties/vendors for the smooth delivery of projects
- Ensure that all projects are delivered on-time, within scope and within budget
5. Partner management
- Manage the relationship with the donor and all stakeholders
- Establish practices, templates, policies, tools and partnerships to expand and develop these capabilities for the organisation
6. Networking, communication and advocacy
- Develop and deliver progress reports, proposals, requirements documentation and presentations for various audiences, including the project team, sponsors, and key stakeholders
- Deliver appropriate and effective executive level communication
- A Master’s degree in international relations, diplomacy, governance or any relevant field
- Sound knowledge of Pakistan socio-political and economic environment
- Extensive understanding of project and programme management principles. methods and techniqueses
Experience: At least 5 years’ experience in project management with different donors in collaboration with government
- Ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines
- Excellent skills of operating Microsoft word and excel spread sheet, knowledge of financial management software is an added advantage
- Fluency in English (written and spoken)
- Fluency in Urdu (written and spoken);
- A positive problem-solving approach
- Good interpersonal skills
- Excellent client-facing and internal communication skills
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multi-tasking skills
- Willingness to promote the work of Saferworld and develop collaborative work with others
- A commitment to working in a non-partisan manner
- A commitment to learn and be open for new ideas and approaches