UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Project Manager / Senior Economic Development Officer (PM/ SEDO) has the overall responsibility for day-to-day management of several interrelated economic development projects (see the list below) and ensures technical guidance and advisory support on economic development themes. In addition, in the capacity of Project Manager, the incumbent ensures coordinated and effective management of the SED operations team providing common services to the cluster.
The following UNDP projects are included under supervision of the Project Manager/SEDO:
- LITACA II
- LITACA III
- Accelerating Post COVID-19 Economic Recovery through Improved Livelihood, Employability, and Regional Cooperation in Ferghana Valley
- Youth for Business and Innovations
- Strengthening Communities Resilience in Rasht and Khatlon regions of Tajikistan
- A set of Project Implementation Plans for COVID-19 response.
- Other related initiatives to be assigned by UNDP management.
The Project Manager / Senior Economic Development Officer will perform his/her duties under supervision of Team Leader on SED.
Management & Supervision:
- Facilitate the day-to-day functioning of the project team. Manage the human and financial resources for achieving project results in line with the outputs and activities outlined in the projects‘ document and annual work plans;
- Be responsible for project management and financial management through Atlas, in line with delegated authorities and internal control framework.
- Be responsible for overall financial and operational accountability of assigned projects, including budgets and ensuring strict and consistent application of UNDP rules and regulations;
- Ensure timely and efficient planning, implementation and follow up procurement activities within the assigned projects;
- Coordinate developing the annual work plans and results framework for the projects and based on approval of the Government and UNDP take the lead in implementing for delivery of results;
- Directly supervise Sustainable Economic Development Cluster operation team and the project personnel working under the assigned projects. Establish performance management system, based on UNDP’s results and competency assessment system, to monitor project personnel performance;
- As per corporate UNDP requirements, establish participatory governance and decision-making system which involves all projects‘ staff; ensure enabling environment for high level performance of all project personnel;
- Participate and substantively contribute to the planning and conduction of external audits, evaluations and reviews related to assigned projects;
- Apply consecutive efforts to integrate gender equality considerations in project-related activities and in daily leadership practices.
Partnership and Resource Mobilization:
- Work collaboratively in a team environment with other projects of UNDP SED cluster to ensure integration, strategic focus and gender-responsiveness of all programme activities;
- Prepare proposals for mobilization of human, technical or financial resources from international development organizations, non-government organizations and the private sector to support the achievement of projects’ outputs and outcomes;
- Closely cooperate with other clusters, units and projects of UNDP, including with Local Implementation and Innovation Centers in order to exchange experiences and to ensure conformity in the approaches to project and program development goals;
- Establish and strengthen the collaboration with relevant governmental partners to support implementation of the projects’ outcomes and outputs Ensure that projects activities are closely coordinated with stakeholders and that a high level of collaboration and cooperation is in place at the national, regional and district level.
Economic Expertise and Programme Development:
- Participate in the development of strategies, methodologies and identification of new approaches for improving programme delivery and enhancing UNDP’s niche in sustainable economic development;
- Provide inputs to the formulation of the UNDP strategic documents, monitoring of programmes/projects, and prepare, consolidate and regularly update the best practices and lessons learnt;
- Substantively contribute to preparation of the new project concept notes, proposals to potential donors, strategic documents, including corporate country and area level reports and analysis in collaboration with UNDP Programme Unit and/or else assigned programme/project Focal Points;
- If requested arrange, facilitate and participate on behalf of UNDP SED Cluster and /or on behalf of UNDP, in the national and local level meetings, working groups related to implementation of economic development reforms, events, debates and forums and provide the required expertise and substantive technical inputs in preparation and conduction of these events;
- Liaise with other staff of UNDP, as well as external consultants and experts on the impact of policy reforms (e.g. business environment improvement, private sector development, agrarian, cross-border trade and etc.) on access of vulnerable population to productive assets and the management of resources;
- Introduce the innovative approaches, including but not limited to use of ICT and e-services in implementation of UNDP projects;
- Update constantly and make oneself introduced and share with colleagues reforms and government strategies and laws pertained to economic development, private sector support and trade and investments promotion;
- Substantively contribute to preparation of annual and other regular internal (APR, QPMMs, etc) and external (donor) progress reports of UNDP SED Cluster.
Monitoring and evaluation:
- Manage the implementation of effective monitoring and evaluation, information and reporting systems as well as communication strategy for the assigned projects;
- Support SED Cluster team in ensuring gender-sensitive monitoring and evaluation of efficiency, effectiveness, impact and sustainability of interventions related to economic development;
- Contribute to the development, coordinate the implementation and regular maintenance and upgrade of the M&E system in part related to economic development. Provide guidance and support to related project team in monitoring outcomes of the programmes, projects and activities on economic development as well as on the overall UNDP development outputs;
- Monitor national context, emergence of players/stakeholders and actualization of risks that have implications for the economic development approaches in general and its individual projects;
- Establish and guide the development and implementation of customized capacity building packages, targeting local authorities, civil society organizations as well as the private sector.
- Compile a summary of lessons learnt and experiences for further development of recommendations to ensure better quality of outputs and delivery related to economic development interventions.
Knowledge sharing and Analytical Knowledge Products:
- Lead the process of knowledge captures of national and international know-how in the subject area and production of knowledge-based products;
- Lead the analytical development work of the team and ensure high quality knowledge products. Promote the substantive quality of all knowledge products, reports and services, and ensures effective integration and compatibility with other practice areas;
- Contribute to the production reports and publications and serve as peer reviewer
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- University degree in Economics, Development studies or other related field;
- Master’s degree (with 5 years of experience) or Bachelor’s degree (with 7 years of experience) in Economics, Public Administration, Development Studies or any other related Social Science field.
- Proven experience in advisory services in support of economic development policy making, with experience working closely with government and non-governmental counterparts; Experience in local economic development and contextualized solutions is a must.
- Good general knowledge about Tajikistan and Central Asia economic development context.
- Good knowledge about the strategic planning and monitoring and evaluation.
- Evidence of gender-responsiveness and gender sensitivity in the area of expertise.
- Demonstrate excellence in management, leadership and coordination.
- Excellent computer skills, including command of MS Word, Excel and PP, and familiarity with imaging software and databases;
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP systems, preferably PeopleSoft, ATLAS, etc.
- Excellent command of spoken and written English, Tajik and Russian are essential;