Project Manager Multi-Sector
INTERSOS , Kabul, Afghanistan
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
General purpose of the position
The Project Manager is in charge of the implementation and the supervision of the project activities.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Ensures the planning, implementation and monitoring/evaluation and sets targets as included in the project description.
- Guarantee an efficient financial management for the project in compliance with INTERSOS’ model and donor regulations.
- Team management and project integration assurance for teams working at the targeted health facilities targeted, mobile units and centers in order to guarantee project quality as per required standards.
- Deliver quality reports for donor, authorities and INTERSOS in good quality and timely manner, including the findings in terms of impact/changes at the level of beneficiaries achieved through the project.
Ensure a proper planning of the activities to be implemented:
- Liaise with admin-fin department to secure proper staff recruitment and regularly update HR files
- Prepare and organize training for volunteers and team members
- Organize and conduct project kick-off and presentation/sharing of project with teams
- Prepare and regularly review a detailed activity plan with team
- Agree and establish clear reporting and communication lines
- Verify the targeting and selection of the beneficiaries
- Ensure sector SOPs and guidelines are properly applied and adhered to
- Permanent on-job coaching of teams to work on quality in delivery
- Ensure security monitoring for teams’ daily movement and report incidents/concerns in a pro-active manner to the Head of Mission and Security Focal Point
Financial management and procurement:
- Prepare, monitor and implement financial and procurement plan
- Prepare weekly liquidity plan
- Verify and approve all purchases/contracts and budget line allocations
- Verify on a weekly basis the bookkeeping entries in the INTERSOS accounting spread sheets (PN): verify budget line allocations, budget expenditure status against actual delivery and the financial plan for the remainder project implementation period, in coordination with finance department
- Ensure for all purchases/contracts of goods/services/supplies the correct INTERSOS procurement guidelines are applied and properly documented (also for the procedures applied by the municipalities), in close coordination with the admin-fin and logistics department
- Verify the list of expenditures prior to finalizing the interim and final financial reports
- Holds final responsibility for verification of all support documents’ completeness and correctness
- Manage team and to provide relevant capacity building and on-job coaching to the project team:
- Manages and evaluates the performance of the project staff directly managed and ensure that evaluation procedures are implemented for the rest of the team
- Conduct weekly and monthly meetings with the team to review the planning and discuss the main concerns to focus on for the upcoming period
- Ensure use of correct/relevant forms for assessments and reporting by the team
- Ensure fluent chain of information/data transfer from field to supervisors
- Ensure timely processing of information/data and conduct coaching for teams on the analysis of the processed data
- Continuous/fast verify the data quality collected and received from field staff
- Undertake (if security situation allows) field visits to provide technical guidance and supervision to the team and to monitor the progress and quality of the different project activities.
- Oversee team attendances and authorize holidays, liaise with admin-fin department to secure regular update of HR files
- Ensure teams respect INTERSOS rules and guidelines to the mission and adhere to INTERSOS code of conduct and charter of values
Monitoring & evaluation:
- Ensure monitoring and verification for the targeting of beneficiaries, also through ad-hoc monitoring tools and field visit
- Applying a result-oriented approach, monitor the project outcomes, in addition to the outputs and activities, including changes at the household and community level achieved through the project
- Ensure the full accountability to the beneficiaries
- Ensure quality reporting on achievements against weekly and monthly performance reports containing clear quantitative and qualitative information related to the activities.
- Secure weekly and monthly reporting per team and compile, review and analyses reports on monthly bases to be reflected in INTERSOS’ PAT reporting tool
- Prepare ad hoc progress reporting for the donor and official required interim and final project reports: prepare interim and final narrative reports for the donor in a timely and qualitative manner, looking into achievements against outcomes and output and reflect lessons learnt clearly into recommendations for future programming
- Holds final responsibility for all support documents (means of verification) and general project documents
- Delivers regular communication products (including pictures) on the project to be used by the INTERSOS communication department in different outlets
Coordination and representation:
- Attend the relevant cluster meetings and ensure timely reporting of highlights to Program Coordinator and Technical Coordinators.
- Ensure regular updates to donor representatives in coordination with the Program Coordinator.
- Coordinate with relevant line-ministries and assure the timely signature of sub-agreement with MoE for the implementation of the project.
- Support INTERSOS with the implementation of the Country Strategy, in particular for the development of specific and detailed sector strategies.
- Contribute to the coordination between the different project-teams for the projects in Afghanistan.
- Ensure systematic information and update sharing with the Program Coordinator and other programme staff.
- Coordinate with other relevant actors in Kandahar and Kabul for effective and efficient collaboration.
- Perform any other related duties as required.
Required profile and experience
- Hold an advanced degree in social science or any related field.
- At least 3 years of direct professional experience working as project manager on humanitarian project/programme, including financial management responsibilities.
- Prior work experience in INGO in humanitarian project management.
- Demonstrate minimum 2-year experience in the implementation of multi-sector humanitarian programming in complex emergencies.
- Admin, finance and budget management skills
- Demonstrable experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with donors and government counterparts.
- Experience with donor compliance and reporting
- Strong representation and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
- Excellent computer skills (proven computer literacy, in particular Excel knowledge is a must).
- Demonstrated experience in staff supervision and remote management models
- Strong experience with monitoring tools and systems
- Readiness to move around in Afghanistan
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
- Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity
- Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks (very organized
- Ability to plan ahead and output oriented (pro-active)
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment (stress-resilient)
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and respect line management
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Practical and problem-solver
- Ability to deal with work pressure