“UNDP is the UN's global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in about 170 countries and territories, including Indonesia, working to eradicate poverty while protecting the planet. UNDP supports implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In Indonesia, UNDP works with the Government to integrate SDGs into national plan and policies.”
In response to the recent Central Sulawesi and NTB earthquakes and tsunami, UNDP has initiated the Sulawesi / Lombok Programme for Earthquake and Tsunami Infrastructure Reconstruction Assistance (‘PETRA’ in short) to support the Government of Indonesia’s Rehabilitation and Reconstruction programmes in the two Provinces.
The ultimate goal of PETRA is to contribute to the rehabilitation and reconstruction of key infrastructure to support the resilient recovery of disaster-affected communities in both provinces. It addresses the need to accelerate the restoration of critical public services (such as health and education), improve economic livelihood opportunities for affected communities, while, at the same time, enhancing resilience to future shocks in both provinces. It will be guided and informed by the post-disaster needs assessments and will be fully aligned with relevant national and sub-national recovery plans.
PETRA will deliver two outputs, namely: (a) Rehabilitation and reconstruction of partially and fully damaged infrastructure for critical public services; and (b) Rehabilitation of affected communities’ economic infrastructure to promote more resilient and sustainable livelihoods
The Project Manager will play a lead role in the management of project inputs for the delivery of planned project outputs. In close consultation with the Country Office ( CO ) , he/she will also lead the preparation of project work plans, in the drafting of project reports, as well as in human resource management and supervision of field activities. The incumbent leads the day-to-day management of project activities, with a view to ensure that project workplan is implemented in an effective, efficient and timely manner.
The Project Manager will work under the overall guidance of the Team Leader. The incumbent will also engage with relevant UNDP CO programme units with a view to ensure high quality project development and the effective implementation .
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensure planning and implementation of projects focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Management of project activities. Lead the preparation of annual workplans, establish priorities, timelines, and specific operational targets;
- Coordinate various components of the project providing overall guidance and innovative solutions to projects. Constantly seek to improve project service lifecycle;
- Ensure that gender equality and women’s empowerment is integrated at all stages of the project cycle;
- Ensure sub project activities are implemented in accordance with the sub projects environmental and social management plan;
- Works in close collaboration with other teams in the office including programmes, operations as well as other UN agencies, Government officials, multilateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society in ensuring successful project implementation; and,
- Enhance capacity of staff by providing technical leadership.
Ensure timely and effective management of project delivery focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide management with top quality advice relating to project implementation and proper design of project activities;
- Facilitate day-to-day functioning of the Team. Works closely with CO to ensure effective and transparent management of resources (both financial and human) for the delivery of activities and outputs specified in the project document;
- Provide proper oversight for project activities and results;
- Lead and supervise the project team and ensure that the activities of the project staff are in line with the project plan and budget;
- Works with CO to identify, manage and supervise consultants in support of the project;
- Solve complex project related issues and escalate sensitive matters to CO management in an efficient manner to identify corrective actions in a timely manner;
- Prepare timely and regular progress reports for submission to CO management and external stakeholders;
- Assist with implementation of audit requirements;
- Ensure security of the staff and assets belonging to the projects; and,
- Ensure inclusion of lessons learnt and best practices to improve quality of future projects.
Foster partnership building focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Engages with external partners - including national government, local governments, other UN agencies, and other development partners – in pursuit of common objectives and with a view to enable the achievement of project results;
- Advises on emerging working relations with new partners and on project partnership strategy; and,
- Engages communities in the implementation and oversight of project activities, as appropriate, in a gender-sensitive manner.
- Builds project reputation for quality design, reliable delivery as well as integrity and accountability;
- Identifies and works with key partners/stakeholders to ensure synergies with other projects/initiatives and to avoid duplication of activities among actors;
- Identifies opportunities for mobilizing resources for the project, and prepares substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation; and
The incumbent of the position should avoid any kind of discriminatory behavior including gender discrimination and ensure that
- Human rights and gender equality is prioritized as an ethical principle within all actions;
- Activities are designed and implemented in accordance with “Social and Environmental Standards of UNDP”;
- Any kind of diversities based on ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, class, gender are respected within all implementations including data production;
- Differentiated needs of women and men are considered;
- Inclusive approach is reflected within all actions and implementations, in that sense an enabling and accessible setup in various senses such as disability gender language barrier is created;
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams, including working in teams and empowering project staff to create an enabling gender equality environment on non-hierarchical bases.
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
- Communication skills to exchange information, and key ideas in a manner that engages the audience and helps others to understand and retain messages about gender equality and parity
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Continues to seeks new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Ability to carry out gender-related economic, environmental, public research and analysis, to contribute to the formulation of policies, programme interventions, procedures, guidelines and tools.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Experience in managing large-scale post-disaster infrastructure programs/projects;
- Ability to lead strategic planning, change processes, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to lead formulation, oversight of implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects;
- Ability to apply development theory to the specific country context to identify creative, practical approaches to overcome challenging situations.
Conceptual Innovation in the Provision of Technical Expertise
- Leverages different experiences and expertise of team members to achieve better and more innovative outcomes
- Ability to analyze differentiated needs and interests of men and women as well as with a specific emphasis and respect to sexual orientation, region, ethnicity, age, disability, language etc.
- Ability to consider that men and women are effected differently from different interventions and needs to be approached differently.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly
- Excellent written communication and analytical skill to synergize project financial delivery and support internal capacity
- Anticipates client needs
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective
Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda
- Creates effective advocacy strategies
- Contributes to the elaboration of advocacy strategies by identifying and prioritizing audiences and communication means
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for advocacy work
- Advocacy skills to promote gender equality approaches, to achieve the UNDP Gender Equality agenda or national gender equality agenda with internal and external partners
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Sensitizes Stakeholders, donors and other international organizations to project’s strategic agenda, identifying areas for joint efforts
- Strategic thinking and building partnerships to promote Gender Equality
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
- Promotes knowledge management on gender equality issues
Required Skills and Experience
Education:Master / Bachelor degree in engineering, development, management or other relevant fields of study.
- Minimum of 8 years for candidate with Phd Degree, 10 years for candidate with Master Degree or 12 years for candidate with Bachelor degree of relevant working experience in the area of project management in challenging environments.
- Experience in managing complex large-scale engineering projects.
- Experience in working with the Government of Indonesia, on infrastructure projects.
- Understanding of International environmental and social standards, and Indonesian laws
- Previous experience in UN(DP) will be considered an asset.
- Previous experience with other IFIs or Development Partners will be considered an asset.
Language Requirements: •
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- Knowledge of Bahasa Indonesia.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, writing ability and administrative skills.
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams.
- Ability to engage and negotiate with high level personnel in governmental institutions, external agencies, etc.
- Proven analytical skills and ability to conceptualize strategic intervention.