In its Global 2018-20 strategy, NRC set ambition to become a leader in the use of data and technology to deliver better. To achieve this goal, NRC established the Digital Transformation strategic initiative. One of the key components of this global initiative is to design and develop Programme and Beneficiary Database (PDB) solution.
Aligned around a common global vision, the solution will be informed by the various efforts across the organisation to manage programme and beneficiary data more efficiently and effectively, build on learning from the pilots conducted in 2016/17 and experiences within the sector, but also make use of successes within the private sector (e.g. in development of Customer Relationship Management Systems).
Leveraging web based and mobile technology and cloud-based computing, the objective is to develop and roll out a functional, reliable, and scalable information management system for capturing, processing, storing, analysis and visualisation of data related to beneficiaries, services, and programme workflows across NRC’s core competencies and sectors.
The system will be used by field level programme and management staff including teams in remote settings, and will also be used by users across various parts of the organisation while ensuring security and privacy of individual and sensitive data.
Role and responsibilities
The Project manager and Technical Lead is responsible for leading design, development, and implementation of the solution for the Programme and Beneficiary Database. S/he will:
- Lead planning, design, delivery, and roll out of the PDB solution and manage all aspects of the system development lifecycle from prototyping to ongoing maintenance and support.
- Hold budget responsibility in collaboration with the Head of Unit – Digital Transformation;
- Report regularly to the project Steering Committee/Governance structure;
- Escalate any project blockages or bottlenecks to Head of Unit – Digital Transformation or other relevant authority;
- Socialise the project progress, keeping various stakeholders up to date;
- Participate in other information management projects in which the PDB solution plays a part or needs to be integrated with;
- Facilitate field/user testing of the solution and feedback loops to developers/supplier;
- Contribute to the implementation of the global ICT Strategy;
- Contribute to the work of the Digital Transformation strategic initiatives;
- Represent NRC and the PDB project in external forums.
- Develop PDB project strategy and realistic implementation plan, building on existing efforts and body of work.
- Lead and coach PDB core project team to ensure project milestones and deliverables are met timely and with quality, identify needs for capacity strengthening, and conduct performance reviews.
- Establish extended project team in consultations with key stakeholders, then coordinate with them on decentralised tasks.
- Manage relationships and engage with key focal points in different departments, regions and countries throughout the lifecycle of the project to ensure participatory design and relevance of the PDB solution.
- Follow up on project progress and ensure targets and deadlines are met; regularly conduct risk analysis and communicate with key stakeholders on project progress, budget status, challenges and solutions, and resource needs (financial, staff, consultants, etc.).
- Act as a focal point with consultants and external partners in the context of PDB project.
- Ensure PDB design allows for integration with other existing or planned NRC systems.
- Ensure relevant project documentation is maintained and regularly updated.
- Organise, prepare, and facilitate key sessions, workshops, events, and training as required by various project phases, such as requirement gathering, testing, and rollout.
- Ensure compliance and adherence to NRC policies, guidance, and procedures, in particular to information security and data protection standards.
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience with project leadership/management of information management systems and software development.
- Bachelor degree in directly related field, such as Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Management Information Systems, or other related field.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Prior experience in delivering complex projects.
- Has enough technical knowledge to know what it is possible to balance between challenging the core team to push the limits and realistic planning and expectations.
- Experience in working in geographically distributed teams using online tools.
- Experience working with Agile software management and related principles and tools.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
- Context/Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Experience in leading software-building teams (required).
- Demonstrated experience in managing agile software development projects, preferably Scrum and in depth understanding of the software development cycle, from requirements to maintenance.
- Experience in planning, design, and use of related project management tools and a strong understanding of corporate systems and multi-component ecosystems.
- Experience with cloud/SaaS solutions, particularly CRM's (like Salesforce and MS Dynamics).
- Considerable hands-on experience with designing and building software and databases is highly preferable.
- Experience/ability to conduct business process analysis, map complex enterprise processes, activities, workflows, and identify gaps.
- Ability to moderate technical conversations and generally be an active participant in them.
- Strategic thinking: Demonstrates future orientation and long-term vision, thinks strategically and on a global scale; sets a high standard for solutions.
- Planning and delivering results: Has full visibility of the project and its progress; is always ahead in terms of what needs to be done.
- Managing resources to optimise results: Utilises people's skills and delegates duties while still being hands-on when it makes sense;
- Analysing: Understands "business" problems and needs very well; able to undertake critical and objective analysis that takes into consideration contextual issues and risks.
- Empowering and building trust: Can empower and inspire the core team to do great, fast-paced work, through leading by example; truly represents the team, the project, and the vision when interacting with other units.
- Communicating with impact: Communicates effectively, efficiently, and frequently across the organisation; bridges the gap between the core team and other teams; is able to maintain an objective perspective when interacting with various actors.
- Coping with change: Adopts the "Agile" mindset and is comfortable with uncertainty and can adapt plans quickly.
- Working with people: A team player, able to build bridges across silos, supports colleagues in achieving their goals and focuses on solutions rather than obstacles.
The position is a full time position for an initial period of 24 months with possibility of extension. Can be based in Oslo, Berlin or a global hub – pending discussion with candidates. Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location.
Only CVs and applications written in English will be assessed Late applications will not be considered NRC reserves the right to conduct a full background check on shortlisted candidates.