To address the development challenges related to state and capacities of the Ukrainian economy to recover from the COVID pandemic, UNDP is launching a project that is meant to deliver substantial impacts in the mentioned area and ensure that women and men will have equal opportunities to building forward green and better.
UNDP’s programmatic response is based on the building forward green and better approach, as well as utilizing innovative approaches and solutions such as data analysis and new financing mechanisms.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Team Leader of Energy and Environment in Ukraine Project Manager will be responsible for overall management of the Project and coordination of the UNDP’s activities in the area of gender responsive green economy and finance, maintain the partnership with pertinent development partners and government counterparts and technical expertise and expand UNDP’s interventions in this thematic field. The incumbent will manage the project team in Kyiv and the field locations, as necessary. The Project Manager is responsible for accountably enabling the Green Recovery Project to achieve the outputs and results identified in the relevant programmatic documents.
The Project Manager will help position UNDP Ukraine as a leading international development organization in Ukraine in the provision of development services regarding the green recovery based on the building forward better approach. The Project Manager will proactively seek synergetic partnerships for the Project, seek opportunities to further scale up the scope of Project activities, ensure that substantial evidence-base for further gender responsive green recovery is generated through project activities, as well as supporting resource mobilization.
The incumbent will promote UNDP’s mandate as a gender-responsive organization with zero tolerance to any kind of discriminatory and abusive behaviour, including sexual harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Summary of key functions:
- Ensuring effective management of the Supporting Green Recovery in Ukraine project and any other assigned projects by maintaining delivery of proper technical, operational, financial, and administrative outputs, while tracking the project progress through monitoring, evaluation and reporting;
- Maintaining collaborative working relationships among key project partners and donors, through effective communication, consultation, and reporting;
- Development and implementation supervision of programmes and projects in the field of green economy and finance under the Supporting Green Recovery in Ukraine project or as a further development of the Supporting Green Recovery in Ukraine project;
- Mobilising resources for broadening and deepening the activities under the Supporting Green Recovery in Ukraine project by developing and implementing a resource mobilization strategy for the project;
- Supporting the establishment and maintenance of strategic partnerships and implementation for the green economy and finance projects under the Supporting Green Recovery in Ukraine project, in particular with other development partners and government stakeholders;
- Ensure the mainstreaming of gender equality and women’s empowerment considerations in the field of green economy and finance, promote a safe and enabling environment free of any kind of discrimination and abusive behavior, and use the principles of gender-responsive communications in line with the UNDP corporate standards;
- Promote a safe and enabling environment free of any kind of discrimination and abusive behavior.
Ensuring effective management of the Green Recovery in Ukraine project and any other assigned project by maintaining delivery of proper technical, operational, financial, and administrative outputs, while tracking the project progress through monitoring, evaluation and reporting:
- Managing and coordinating implementation of the Supporting Green Recovery in Ukraine project activities aimed at improving legal and institutional framework in Ukraine for unlocking private green and sustainable finance, improving ability to prepare bankable green projects, better managing of climate-related risks and all others activities based on the relevant project documents, including, as needed, supervision and guidance of other project staff, consultants, and experts with a view to achieving project results;
- Developing comprehensive/detailed project work-plans that include all project activities and roles and responsibilities of the stakeholders and setting-out corresponding milestones;
- Monitoring the progress of implementation of project activities and key event schedules observing work-plans and set deadlines including monitoring of the financial resources and accounting to ensure accuracy and reliability of financial reports;
- Mobilizing goods and services to support project activities, including drafting TORs and works/product requirements and specifications;
- Managing and monitoring project risks initially identified, submitting information on the new risks and mitigating measures to the Project Board for consideration and updating the status of these risks by maintaining a Project Risk Log;
- Assuming responsibilities in line with the office Internal Control Framework and act as a `first authority` for Project transactions;
- Ensuring adherence of project activities to the existing financial, procurement and administrative processes that are in line with prevailing UNDP rules and regulations and, at the same time, observing project timelines;
- Preparing project progress reports (progress against planned activities, update on risks issues, expenditures, etc.) and ensuring timely submission of the reports to the relevant instances, such as the project boards and relevant donors;
- Managing project tracking in ATLAS in accordance with the UNDP procedures;
- Managing the transfer of project deliverables to national beneficiaries and other project stakeholders.
- Ensuring the principles of gender equality, democratic governance, social inclusion, and disaster resilience are pursued in all project activities and reflected in work plans, budgets, reports, research, analysis and, where specifically relevant, analyzed in detail;
- Consult regularly with other UNDP projects and programs on related activities where synergies are possible.
Maintaining collaborative working relationships among key project partners and donors, through effective communication, consultation, and reporting:
- Maintaining strong relationships with the Government of Ukraine (Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Energy, Ministry of Environmental Protection and Natural Resources, State Agency on Energy Efficiency and Energy Saving, and other), local communities and other relevant partners and stakeholders;
- Ensure the involvement of all relevant stakeholders and the use of broad participatory approaches in design and implementation of project activities;
- Maintaining regular coordination and quality assurance of expert inputs and products as well as among project partners to ensure coherence and complementarity of project activities;
- Identifying opportunities for deepening the cooperation and recommending adequate approaches to dealing with different stakeholders;
- Maintaining regular communication on relevant project issues with the local and international counterparts, consultants and experts and ensuring quality and timely delivery of all agreed outputs;
- Submitting reports to UNDP and relevant partners in a quality and timely manner;
- Ensure strategic partnership building to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment in green economy and finance (e.g., the national gender machinery, line ministries/institutions, private sector stakeholders, civil society actors, especially women’s groups and networks).
- Development and implementation supervision ping of programmes and projects in the field of green economy and finance under the Supporting Green Recovery in Ukraine project or as a further development of the Supporting Green Recovery in Ukraine project:
- Work with UNDP Country Office colleagues, partners to develop and formulate development proposals;
- Coordinate the submission and approval of proposals in accordance with relevant operating procedures;
- Support UNDP Ukraine staff in developing policy briefs, ToRs, programme concept notes/proposals/project documents in the mentioned fields;
- Lead or provide support in the process of preparation, design, submission and approval of programme/project concepts and full-fledged proposals for financing;
- Integrate gender equality concerns into the project/programme cycle, including design, planning, and implementation.
- Mobilising resources for broadening and deepening the activities under the Supporting Green Recovery in Ukraine Project by developing and implementing a resource mobilization strategy for the project:
- Support the development of RM strategy for the unit and proposals as required including synthesis and provision of inputs to the development and implementation of a donor intelligence strategy under the supervision of direct supervisor. This includes supporting the implementation of RM strategies;
- Assessing opportunities of private partnerships for the Supporting Green Recovery in Ukraine project and activities
- Supporting the establishment and maintenance of strategic partnerships and implementation for the green economy and finance projects under the Supporting Green Recovery in Ukraine project , in particular with other development partners and government stakeholders:
- Support to the CO in the development and maintenance of partnerships with IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the responsible areas based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities;
- Analysis and research of information on partners and donors, preparation of substantive briefs on the possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization;
- Identification of opportunities based on partner-specific intelligence and the competitive landscape and where the CO competency strengths overlap with partner/client needs;
- Analysis of key development and sectoral policies currently being discussed and implemented in the country and key donors’ priorities and willing to support these policies;
- Measurable outputs of the work assignment:
- Full and proper implementation of the Green Recovery Project in line with UNDP Financial operational Policies and Procedures and UNDP SOP;
- Partnerships with project stakeholders developed and maintained;
- Resource mobilization strategy for scale up of Project activities developed;
- Project reports produced in time and of a high quality;Pproject overall results, experiences and lessons learned captured and disseminated at the national and regional levels;
- Quality monitoring and closure activities completed.
Performance Indicators for evaluation of results:
- Relevant outputs of the project annual work plan are fully and timely implemented;
- Funds delivery for the project is reached 100%;
- Project operational requirements are carried out in strict accordance with UNDP rules and procedures.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- People Management;
- Ability to manage project/programmes for results, including the ability to translate strategic aims into achievable annual work plans; and prepare project/programme reports in a timely manner;
- Ability to handle politically sensitive issues and establish partnership with government authorities, private sector partners and Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and within UNDP;
- Sound judgment and maturity to foster a positive work environment;
- Demonstrated strong coordination and facilitation skills;
- Strong analytical and report writing skills.
Manage Climate Change (General):
- Knowledge of climate change and environment, including climate change international regime, EU climate and environment measures, and ability to apply this knowledge to strategic and/or practical situations.
Green and Sustainable Finance:
- Knowledge of the key concepts, international frameworks, local contexts and challenges related to development of the green and sustainable finance in particular integration with macroeconomic policies and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
- Climate Resilience of the Value and Supply Chains:
- Knowledge of the climate risk assessment and management, the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
Building Strategic Partnerships:
- Ability to maintain and establish networks of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up to date on partnership related issues.
- Post-Crisis Environment and Resilience:
- Knowledge of Post-Crisis Environment and Resilience concepts and principles and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
- Resource Mobilization:
- Ability to analyze information/databases on potential and actual donors and identity and present opportunities for project proposals to donors.
- Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results.
Mentoring and Capacity building:
- Ability to coach/mentor technical staff to enhance sustain capacity development.
- Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures, and protocols to achieve specific goals.
- Knowledge of gender equality and women’s empowerment issues and ability to apply it to strategic and/or practical situations, e.g. integrating into the project/programme cycle, including design, planning, and implementation.
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of professionals towards common goals.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master's degree or equivalent in the field of green economics, green and sustainable finance, international economic relations, public policy, social policy, public administration, politics, economics, project management, law, social sciences or other closely related fields.
- At least 10 years of the extensive working experience (with Master’s degree)in development, project/programme coordination, policy development/analysis, project and programme design, in the field of green economy and finance or other related area is required;
- Demonstrated experience as a team leader, project manager or programme coordinator in the fields related to green economy and finance;
- Experience working with Government, civil society, the private sector, and/or international organizations or donors in combination with the knowledge of economic and financial analysis, institutional, regulatory and policy frameworks would be an advantage;
- Extensive experience in designing and managing projects in cooperation with relevant public and private sector stakeholders both on the national and local levels;
- Knowledge of international frameworks and best practices in green recovery (e.g. green economy and finance) based on the building forward green and better approach;
- Experience of working in multicultural environment would be an asset;
- Experience in implementation / coordination of large-scale capacity development programmes or international cooperation programmes would be an asset;
- Experience of integrating innovation and cross-cutting issues into programme planning and implementation;
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills, ability to act with tactfulness, diplomacy, and sensitivity;
- Proficiency in use of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems is an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of English and Ukrainian, both spoken and written.