Description of Saferworld and Pakistan Programme
Saferworld is an independent non-governmental organisation that works to prevent and reduce violent conflict and
promote cooperative approaches to security. We work with civil society, governments and international
organisations to encourage and support effective policies and practices through advocacy, research and policy
development, and through supporting the actions of others.
Saferworld Pakistan programme is relatively new; it aims to work on improving community cohesion, inclusive
justice and economic development. Working in consortium with Oxfam, over the next 5 years Saferworld will seek
to promote a justice system in Pakistan that is accessible, inclusive, transparent and accountable.
Overall, our engagement in Pakistan combines project implementation at the community level, dialogue, capacity
building, policy research, networking and advocacy, and working with institutions and civil society at subnational/provincial,
national, regional and international levels.
The Project Officer, will be a key member of Saferworld Project Team and will be required to support effective
implementation of ARC project. The ability to work with the direct line manager (i.e. the Project Manager) to followup
and take actions to achieve measurable evidence against donor approved project targets in a timely and
effective manner will be a critical strength.
Key areas of responsibility are development and implementation of a:
- Monitoring evaluation and learning system for the project
- Programme development.
- Communications and advocacy.
Project monitoring, evaluation and learning:
- Review and refine the existing MEL system of the project, ensuring that it is aligned with the donor approved log frame and clearly articulates the changes that the programme aims to bring about through its interventions
- Install a clear, simple and effective process for tracking and documentation of project outputs and outcomes. The system will draw from Saferworld’s planning monitoring and evaluation framework.
- Under the strategic steer of the Country Representative and guidance of the Project Manager, develop a detailed MEL plan for the project together with output and outcome level indicators, data collection tools and lastly reporting and documentation templates and guidelines. Indicate the role of Saferworld, its partners and community groups in the MEL plan.
- Develop training materials and build capacity of partners, other project staff, and community members in participatory monitoring in collaboration with the consortium partners.
- Introduce innovative tools to promote participative and empowering monitoring practices, e.g. social audits and holding peoples’ assemblies.
- Ensure that beneficiaries’ and partners’ views, needs and feedback are understood and acted upon by making our MEL work more participatory and inclusive.
- Undertake regular visits to the field to support data collection against the set project output and outcome level indicators, and recommend where modifications of the current project MEL and project practices might be needed.
- Contribute to developing ToRs to conduct MEL surveys, including baselines, mid-term and final project evaluations. Assist Project Manager with outsourcing actions to maintain credibility, independence and impartiality in findings, analysis and in recommendations to introduce improvements to the project.
- Assist the Project Manager with identification, documentation and dissemination within/outside Saferworld of human interest stories and case studies to demonstrate evidence of good practice and critical lessons learned.
- Support Project Manager and implementing partners in preparing and analysing project progress reports.
- Ensure the timely compliance of donor guidelines on MEAL while at the same time monitoring the quality of services and activities.
- Work with Saferworld’s London-based Organisational Development Unit, to assist them in developing and applying the framework and ensuring that it meets the needs and capacities of the project.
- Support the development of Saferworld’s organisation-wide ‘Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Framework’.
- Assist with regular analysis of political and security developments and themes in Pakistan
- Contribute to the development and implementation of Saferworld’s Pakistan programme strategy
- Support internal (within the team and across the organisation) discussions on thematic issues particularly on peacebuilding and governance, private sector, security and justice sector development according to the communications strategy of the project.
- Facilitate learning from projects to contribute to the development of, and deepen understanding of, Saferworld’s thematic issues and approaches
Communications and advocacy:
- Under the overall steer of the Country Representative and direct guidance of the Project Manager, develop a communications and advocacy strategy and an implementation plan for the project, aligned with donor approved advocacy actions.
- Support the Project Manager to identify key strategic partners in government, civil society, media and the international community for promoting peace and security in Pakistan.
- Assist the Project Manager with development of project briefs, position papers, internal news, case studies, promotional materials and advocacy messages.
- Develop training materials and build capacity of partners in effective communications and evidencebased advocacy.
- Contribute to the development of appropriate advocacy strategies of implementing partners of the project aligning them to the overall advocacy strategy for the project.
- Working closely with the line manager, monitor, collect and share information on security, governance, access to justice and conflict related aspects of the project.
3. Other responsibilities:
- Perform other duties as assigned by the line manager.
- Deputises for Project Manager during their absence.
- A university degree or professional qualification in development studies, social anthropology, organisational development, or a related field.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working with an international NGO or donor agency, preferably at national level, in a progressively responsible and relevant position i.e. MEL or advocacy.
- Demonstrable experience of developing and operationalizing project MEL systems; preferably for projects/programmes on peacebuilding, conflict prevention, gender equality, youth empowerment, or related fields.
- A good understanding of security/peace, conflict prevention, access to justice issues and of civil society organisations engaged in this sector in Pakistan.
- Experience with MEL data collection tools, installing data processing systems and their administration.
- Proven ability in building capacity in MEL, communications and advocacy of local partners and other stakeholders.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to relate sensitively to diverse groups and in a non-partisan manner.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Highly developed analytical, report writing and presentation skills.
- Good interpersonal and team working skills
Flexibility in working in diverse situations with unpredictable working hours.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Willingness to travel to diverse locations in support of project’s implementation, learning and meetings.
- A positive problem-solving approach.
- Willingness to promote the work of Saferworld and develop collaborative work with others.
- A commitment to learn and be open for new ideas and approaches.