Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing support and assistance for the timely start-up and implementation of European Commission's Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection (ECHO) project, with a specific focus on various phases including project implementation, coordination, monitoring, reporting, project development, and resource mobilization.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the overall implementation of the ECHO project by following up on logistical and administrative arrangements, cooperating with relevant authorities, providing information and ensuring that donor reporting information and schedules are available.
- Contribute to the strategic direction of ECHO project activities in Djibouti, including Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Non-Food Items (NFI) and integrated protection programming. Track and analyse project progress, identify and document significant project events, decisions, deviations or problems and recommend appropriate action to expedite the delivery of inputs according to work plan.
- Draft portions of required progress, donor and other project reports in alignment to ECHO donor requirements and facilitate proper information exchange for all operational aspects of the project.
- Closely monitor budget and expenses and follow up on the variances between budget and expenditures/commitments.
- Maintain efficient filling system for all documents, reports and financial records and make sure to update it regularly.
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues, stakeholders and partners to discuss operational and implementation issues, solutions and recommendations.
- Attend and participate to meetings, relevant seminars and other events related to the implementation of the project.
- Undertake duty travel relating to project assessment, project implementation, monitoring, and liaison with counterparts, and provide information and technical guidance with respect to project management and internal procedures.
- Support the all activities/initiatives which aim at ensuring visibility for the ECHO project.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Law, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience preferably in an international, non-profit environment;
- Demonstrated experience in project management, including in the areas of migration health, migrant assistance and child protection and capacity building for government;
- Experience required in the area of monitoring and evaluation as well as reporting;
- Ability to work effectively with local authorities, academic institutions and the broader community to advance country office objectives;
- Experience in working in UN agencies will be considered as an asset including on European
- Union (EU) funded projects;
- Experience with working as part of a multi-cultural team;
- Knowledge on East and Horn of Africa is an advantage;
- Ability to manage a varied workload and prioritize tasks, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Required functional competencies: effective communicator, successful negotiator, creative analytical thinker, active learner, team player, and cross-cultural facilitator
- Experience of using own initiative and problem-solving attitude.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office packages.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
- For this position, fluency in French and working knowledge in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Spanish is an advantage.
- Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.