Background Information - Job-specific
In adapting to the growing complexity of the 21st century, the United Nations need to respond dynamically to ensure it remains instrumental in supporting the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals and targets for the 2030 agenda. Technological innovation and the role of partnerships across sectors have become increasingly important to accelerate progress in addressing the problems that humanity face.
In close partnership with the Government of Egypt, the UN is establishing and operationalizing the United Nations Technology Innovation Lab (UNTIL) located in Smart Village, Cairo.
The priority focus of the UNTIL Egypt Lab will be establishing partnerships with UN Funds and Programmes as well as Governments, Academia, NGOs and private sector leveraging technology to address SDGs challenges in the areas of education for special-needs students, health, industry and agriculture.
This position is located in the United Nations Technology Innovation Labs (UNTIL) Egypt under the Global Services Division (GSD) of OICT. The Project Officer reports to the Lab Manager in UNTIL Egypt.
Within delegated authority, the Project Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provide assistance to conceptualize, develop strategy for and oversee the design and implementation of UNTIL Egypt lab’s objectives; manage/oversee multiple, concurrent and often disparate tasks for projects that involve cutting-edge innovative applications.
- Assist with reviewing project plans, schedules, and budgets on the UNTIL Egypt programme. Assist in the Identification of appropriate human and technical resources to complete the project. Assist in evaluating programme/project risk factors, escalating project issues, and developing solutions to address such issues.
- Assist with activities around setting up the lab and preparing project briefs and other programme documentation around programme initiation.
- Assist with the preparation of regular updates for reporting to the UNTIL Egypt Advisory Panel and Thematic Advisory Groups.
- Assist in the contribution of management support to the lab manager of UNTIL Egypt; Assist in activities for the team; participate in recruitment and selection of new staff and in the development of training programs.
- Assist the Lab manager in managing procurements, including conducting needs assessments and benchmarks, preparing bid documents and arranging contracts; Assist in coordinating the services required to enable the management and operation of interdependent administrative, financial, human resources and other information systems.
- Assist with the Program Management Office (PMO) to ensure programs and projects meet UNTIL Egypt goals and requirements. Assist and implement PMO processes and policies and work with different stakeholders to define, prioritize, and in the development of projects and programs.
- Assist in the establishment and overseeing of the implementation of a partnerships, communication and outreach strategy for UNTIL Egypt.
- Assit in the preparation, update and development of communication material.
Impact of Results
The incumbent in this position will provide overall programme management to the UNTIL programme in Egypt. He/she will assist the UNTIL lab manager to ensure that the established programmes and projects meet UNTIL objectives.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in international business administration, law, computer science, engineering, information systems, innovation management, partnership management, or related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Required: A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in programme management in technology innovation or related area.
- A minimum of two years experience in implementing programmes with local and global scope within an international organization is an advantage.
- A minimum of two years experience in planning, designing and facilitating promotion of innovative technology solutions in the areas of Education, Health, Industry, Agriculture or Capacity development in the area of technology innovations an advantage.
- A minimum of two years experience in developing and managing multi-stakeholder partnerships for ICT is an advantage.
Language Requirements: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English is required; Knowledge of another official UN language is an advantage.