Over the last decade, Pakistan’s north-western Tribal Districts/Subdivisions (erstwhile Federally Administered Tribal Areas) have experienced security challenges and large-scale population displacements. Since 2014, a combination of military operations and political reform process culminated in the merger of the Federally Administered Tribal Areas into neighbouring Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province. The merger, one of the most consequential political reforms in Pakistan’s 70-year history, is an unprecedented extension of constitutional rights and governance structures to 5 million of the poorest people in Pakistan.
The reform process includes the introduction of constitutional rights, elected local governments, the rule of law institutions, and empowered legislature, fundamentally changing the relationship between the citizen and the state.
Under the overall guidance of the FGP Project Manager, with matrix management by the Management Specialist, the Project Officer will be responsible for implementing project activities related to local government. This is an embedded position in the Local Government & Rural Development Department.
Duties and Responsibilities
High-Quality Delivery of Local Government Activities
- Consult, draft, and update project work plans on a monthly basis.
- Prepare and revise process approval documents such as Terms of Reference, Notes to File, direct contracting sheets, and ORPS documents.
- Follow-up with counterparts in the Country Office to support approvals and resolve outstanding issues or any bottlenecks in processes.
- Problem-solve processes to ensure achievement of project objectives, compliance, and value for money.
- Initiate and manage procurement processes for goods and services.
- Support timely implementation of strategic project management decisions, audit follow-up actions.
- Any other operational or project management support.
Research & Analysis
- Improve the LG cell research capacity by supporting the Management Expert and Local Government Advisor in:
- researching documents;
- analyzing data;
- consulting counterparts; and
- drafting of analysis and recommendations.
- Support the cell in developing briefs, reports and presentations to deliver to counterparts.
- Improve evidence-base through the collection, compilation, and validation of data using a range of data collection methods.
Coordination & Events Management
- Support Management Expert and Local Government Advisor in coordination and documentation of meetings.
- Draft and manage correspondence, briefings with key partners.
- Strengthen project coordination, through effective coordination with other projects and development partners.
- Improve project visibility through the organization of high-level events and briefings for key stakeholders.
- Draft minutes, agendas, correspondence, memos, letters, recommendations, position papers, proposals, etc.
Monitoring & Reporting Support
- Participate in the drafting and development of quarterly and annual reports;
- Assist the project team in collecting information and developing and updating programme management and M&E documents;
- Support knowledge management processes, and data compilation.
- Improve information management through proper organization of project databases and cloud storage;
- Coordinate with other program staff to develop quarterly, and annual project work plans;
- Work with the Project Management Team to track the implementation of objectives and key results;
- Document success stories, best practices, and lessons learned and shared them with the rest of the project team to facilitate continuous improvement and impact;
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- Good understanding and knowledge of the KP region;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills;
- Ability to work under stress and to multi-task;
Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork
- Excellent skills in report writing;
- Good physical health and the ability to travel to local areas with basic travel facilities;
- Positive attitude with a mindset to deliver development services in a professional manner;
- Self-development and initiative taker;
- Managing conflict;
- Work experience with international organizations and/or the United Nations is preferred.
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Master’s degree in law, social science or related field from a world-class university.
- 2 years of experience working in a Governance programme or Government department (Local Government expertise is desirable);
- Ability to research using primary and secondary evidence, and produce high-quality written work. (Evidence should be provided through high-quality reporting samples.)
- Strong programme management skills.
- Strong analytical, communication and presentation skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build a strong, trusting and productive working relationship with both clients and colleagues;
Language Requirements: Fluency in the English and Urdu is required. Fluency in Pashto is highly desirable.