This initiative is designed to minimize negative impacts and risks to environment and to human health in India, by enhancing sustainable Plastic Waste Management practices, through a socio-technical model (segregation/collection/ recycling) while ensuring compliance with regulations, to improve use of resources and in line with Swacch Bharat Mission in India; in this project the waste pickers (Safaii Mitras) will be institutionalized with respective governance mechanisms and attain improved social conditions. Project’s targets at the end of period are, to better manage an amount more than 85,000 MT/year of plastic waste and to improve socio-economic conditions of 30,000 plus Safaii Mitras. To achieve the project objective and outcomes, the project is structured in 4 components: Component 1: Aims to develop support and implement an economically sustainable model (ESM) for packaging plastic waste management. This component focuses on developing and implementing the model at 50 selected cities in different States. It also entails support and active involvement of key stakeholders relevant to plastic waste management in urban areas in India for a holistic approach in convergence with the existing mechanisms and resources. This will also include an analysis of present regulatory mechanisms and practices followed, subject to relevance to ‘plastic waste’ in specific and current resources and technologies available as well as for creating an enabling environment, and covering under their umbrella the various kinds of plastic waste, including plastic bottles; Component 2: focuses on design and implementation of Pilots in City Units (Swacchta Kendras) for improved plastic waste management, in the administrative wards of selected 50 cities. Socio-technical approach is to be applied to combine improved technological development in handling, with the social aspects of waste collection and segregation. This component represents the core development of the project, from its results; projections will be developed towards implementation in the entire country. Component 3 is directed mainly to design, sustain and provide elements to institutionalize Swacchta Kendra in governance bodies and to obtain improved socio-economic conditions for waste pickers. This is to be achieved by incorporation of the plastic waste management model, and its main stakeholders presence and importance, into urban local bodies at city, state and national levels; by obtaining Safaii Mitras’ activities recognition as a service to society, with the corresponding starting up of their mainstreaming; and by fostering and strengthening self-help groups for Safaii Mitra living improvements of their way of life; Component 4 is aimed to developed a knowledge management, monitoring and communication mechanisms, which will be based in a in-built adoptive feedback system from project results at various stages along the entire duration. Adequate governance mechanisms will be established in order to assure the right development of project and targets fulfilment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish processes and systems for effective development and implementation of M & E Strategies as per the M & E framework developed under the project;
- Develop the overall framework for the physical and process monitoring of project activities; Designing impact & measurement plans. Executing & monitoring plans.
- Develop agenda with Project Head for the Project Steering Committee meetings. Project Advisory meetings, etc. and other related meetings.
- Review monitoring reports, analyses these reports in terms of problems and actions needed as well as for impact evaluation and to identify the causes of potential bottlenecks in project implementation;
- Keeps a tab, understanding and support in accessing and sharing the technology led information with a range of stakeholders on all the waste incoming, managed and recycled.
- Lead the drafting of customized reports with UNDP, HCCB, state and central Governments and other related stakeholders, including contribute to the layout and planning of the mid-term and final evaluation and assessment of the project;
- Develop links with recyclers and ensure maintaining knowledge management
- Contributing to staff capacity building initiatives as necessary.
- Creating sustainable social change learning outcomes
- Support Project Team and Leadership in defining and implementing the key project performance indicators (KPI) as well as monitoring them throughout the duration of the projects.
- Assist the Project Manager in proposing strategies to increase data use and demand amongst Project staff.
- Draft tools and their revisions as well as data collection procedures under the supervision of the Project Team and SMT (e.g. logical framework, project performance tracking, indicators, data flow chart, M&E manuals)
- Support the Project Manager and the Head-Circular Economy, UNDP in reviewing the performance of existing management information systems to help identify potential modifications or resources.
- Keep abreast of developments in project progress in order to advise and recommend tools and strategies to increase project performances and results.
- Suggest ways to facilitate data collection and the flow of data within project field teams.
- Support Project Manager and the Head-Circular Economy, UNDP to ensure that donor, partner, and Senior Management data queries are addressed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Support Project Manager and the Head-Circular Economy, UNDP in reviewing donor reports to ensure high quality reports are submitted on time for the Project.
- Any other responsibility assigned by the Head-Circular Economy, UNDP.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Possesses knowledge and understanding of M&E tools and processes as well as of current theories and practices in the area of evaluation and knowledge management.
- Has good knowledge of Logical Framework Approach and Results Based Management Approach for developing sound Monitoring and Evaluation system.
- Has the required competence to collect reliable, valid and accurate information in an obbjective way.
- Has the ability to work as part of a team.
- Proficiency in MS-Office, especially PowerPoint and Excel; understanding of Management Information System (MIS) would be an asset.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Social Sciences, engineering, economics, Rural Development or related field is desirable.
- Desirable: Master’s degree or equivalent in Energy and Environment, Social Sciences, Rural Development, Management or related field is desirable.
- A minimum of 5 years of M&E experience is required at the state or national level. Experience in the usage of computers (IT tools) and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Good data analytical, communication, interpersonal and presentation skills on the impacts from project.
- Good command of Resources Based management tools.
- IT/computing skills (minimum: Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Ability to prioritize assignments and requirements, and multitask as needed;
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Ability to integrate technology into various aspects of the project for planning, rollout and monitoring
Language Requirements: Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and Hindi is essential