NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions. NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC Somalia is part of NRC’s East Africa and Yemen regional operation which comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across seven countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Yemen, Eritrea, South Sudan, Uganda and Tanzania). NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to enhance protection and promote the rights of displaced people in humanitarian need by improving living conditions and seeking durable solutions. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardization of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
The purpose of the officer position is day to day implementation of livelihoods and Food Security Project activities in south and central Somalia.
Candidates can apply online by going through the " VACANCIES" link at www.nrc.no Email or Paper applications will not be considered.
Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders.
- Liaise with your supervisors to support in preparation of contract documents, verification certificates for incentive workers, partners and other service providers timely to facilitate proper and prompt payment to the partners.
- Administer working advances, field based resource person’s payments and participants’ activity payments in compliance with NRC policy.
- In consultation with FSL Project Coordinator/ Manager, represent NRC in community meetings, coordination meetings and other information sharing fora that is available.
- Communicate timely and adequately of any concerns that threats the smooth operation of program and advise of possible course of actions to take.
- Implement delegated CC project portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement
- Line management of Dhusamareb project Assistants staff and Provide regular progress reports to PC/PM.
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by PM/PC
- Support project Assistants in preparation of payment requests (PRs) in Agresso where applicable and liaise with logistics to support stock requisition of materials from stores to support project activities using the correct procedures
- Ensure that incentive workers work efficiently and correct data capture procedures are adhered to during PDM and other monitoring activities
- Participate in project design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation including rapid assessments, and other data collection in order to inform and improve programming
- Work with project assistants to enable assistants understand the M&E and implementation plan that you are directly responsible for to enable them understand the reason behind each activity that they implement.
- Develop share and implement monthly activity work plans for FSL projects (which he is responsible for) with assistants based on Gantlet chart developed by the FSL sector
- Liaise and work with project assistants including field assistants to implement and document FSL activities in South and Central Somalia with special focus at the on the projects assigned
- Support and work with incentive workers, implementing partners, suppliers & beneficiaries to; build capacity, ensure that correct documentation procedures are adhered to during field activities including M&E activities
- Timely reporting and support in preparation of project reports/updates e.g.
- Compilation of weekly reports from FSL Assistants and submission to PC/PM.
- Submission of weekly, bi-weekly and monthly PDM reports to FSL PC/PM
- We are looking for a candidate with previous experience working as a project officer, Experience working in complex and volatile contexts, in particular in Somalia. Technical expertise relevant to the role. Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities. Fluency in English, both written and verbal. We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong communication skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels.
- In this position you will join highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people.
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies, and the following are essential for this position:
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect