Project Officer (Monitoring & Evaluation)
United Nations Development Programme, Bombay, India
Closing Date for Applications:
This initiative is designed to formalize a decentralized, integrated processing of all plastic waste on daily basis, onward value addition at the Swachhta Kendras (SKs) – material recovery centers managed through the waste pickers associations, NGOs, companies and mainstreamed with the respective Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) linked to authorized recyclers. This will enable to minimize negative impacts and risks to environment and to human health in India, by enhancing sustainable Plastic Waste Management practices, through a socio-technical model (segregation/collection/recycling) while ensuring compliance with regulations, to improve use of resources and in line with Swachh Bharat Mission in India; in this project the waste pickers (Safaii Mitras) will be formalized with respective governance mechanisms and attain improved social conditions. Project’s targets at the end of period in two wards are, to better manage an amount more than 2500 MT of plastic waste per year and to improve socio-economic conditions of 800 Safaii Mitras in 4 years. To achieve the project objective and outcomes, the project is structured into 4 components:
- Component 1: Proposes to develop, support and implement an economically sustainable model (ESM) for packaging plastic waste management. It focuses on developing base line assessment on use and availability of all plastics with the different and diverse users, present scenario; implement an economically sustainable approach (ESP).
- Component 2: Create a focus on design and implementation of Materials Recovery Facility Centers as (Swacchta Kendras) for better quality plastic waste management through socio-technical approach.
- Component 3: Engaged mainly to design, sustain and provide basics to formalize Swacchta Kendra across governance bodies and to gain improved socio-economic conditions for waste pickers; with a main emphasis on technology for Traceability, Accountability & Digital Governance.
- Component 4: To establish a more hands on knowledge management, monitoring and communication mechanisms, which will be based in an in-built adoptive feedback system from project results at various stages along the entire duration. Adequate governance mechanisms will be established to assure the right development of project and targets fulfillment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish processes and systems for effective development and implementation of M & E Strategies as per the M & E framework developed under the project;
- Develop the overall framework for the physical and process monitoring of project activities; Designing impact & measurement plans. Executing & monitoring plans.
- Develop agenda with Project Head for the Project Steering Committee meetings. Project Advisory meetings, etc. and other related meetings.
- Review monitoring reports, analyses these reports in terms of problems and actions needed as well as for impact evaluation and to identify the causes of potential bottlenecks in project implementation;
- Keeps a tab, understanding and support in accessing and sharing the technology led information with a range of stakeholders on all the waste incoming, managed and recycled.
- Lead the drafting of customized reports with UNDP, HCCB, state and central Governments and other related stakeholders, including contribute to the layout and planning of the mid-term and final evaluation and assessment of the project;
- Develop links with recyclers and ensure maintaining knowledge management
- Contributing to staff capacity building initiatives as necessary.
- Creating sustainable social change learning outcomes
- Support Project Team and Leadership in defining and implementing the key project performance indicators (KPI) as well as monitoring them throughout the duration of the projects.
- Assist the Project Manager in proposing strategies to increase data use and demand amongst Project staff.
- Draft tools and their revisions as well as data collection procedures under the supervision of the Project Team and SMT (e.g. logical framework, project performance tracking, indicators, data flow chart, M&E manuals)
- Support the Project Manager and the Head-Circular Economy, UNDP in reviewing the performance of existing management information systems to help identify potential modifications or resources.
- Keep abreast of developments in project progress in order to advise and recommend tools and strategies to increase project performances and results.
- Suggest ways to facilitate data collection and the flow of data within project field teams.
- Support Project Manager and the Head-Circular Economy, UNDP to ensure that donor, partner, and Senior Management data queries are addressed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Support Project Manager and the Head-Circular Economy, UNDP in reviewing donor reports to ensure high quality reports are submitted on time for the Project.
- Any other responsibility assigned by the Head-Circular Economy, UNDP.
Required Skills and Experience
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Social Sciences, engineering, economics, Rural Development or related field is desirable.
- Desirable: Master’s degree or equivalent in Energy and Environment, Social Sciences, Rural Development, Management or related field is desirable.
- A minimum of 5 years of M&E experience is required at the state or national level. Experience in the usage of computers (IT tools) and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Good data analytical, communication, interpersonal and presentation skills on the impacts from project.
- Good command of Resources Based management tools.
- IT/computing skills (minimum: Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Ability to prioritize assignments and requirements, and multitask as needed;
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Ability to integrate technology into various aspects of the project for planning, rollout and monitoring
Language Requirements: Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and Hindi is essential, Marathi is desirable