Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Description of duties:
- Reporting directly to the PMO Lead of Global IT Operations team in Kuala Lumpur, the incumbent performs the management of selected GSM Transformation projects including planning, managing, tracking, and reporting.
- He/she will also ensure the implementation of practical business solutions under multiple deadlines, the provision of ongoing communications/reporting, timely completion, with high quality standards, in alignment with support procedures, and within budget.
- The role will include management of the virtual project team and require close partnership with the outsourced systems provider, business, support and other WHO teams.
- The incumbent works closely with other GIO and PMO colleagues to ensure that projects are functioning well, and that processes and procedures are in place to support the smooth operations.
- The incumbent will work closely with the various business teams across geographical locations.
- The incumbent is expected to work with other ICT professionals, both in HQ and Regional Offices, to ensure a global and consistent approach to project planning, review and monitoring.
- Assist in the management of selected ERP Transformation initiatives including refining and coordination of project governance processes.
- Support the PMP in projects according to the triple constraint of scope-time-resource and ensure that all plans are drafted and executed, all processes and specifications are documented, progress is reported, and stakeholders are engaged.
- Promote and adhere to the methodology established by the Project Management Office of the ITT department.
- Works with PMO to ensure that all initiatives comply with standards such as business process management, solution architecture, and operational procedures.
- Act as the principal point of contact point for the WHO regarding status of assigned projects.
- Assists in the development of project related documentation e.g. project ID cards, business cases, project initiation documents, detailed stage plans etc.
- Maintain project plans with detailed work breakdown structure, dependencies, timelines, milestones, resource levelling and tracking.
- Report on progress against the baseline plan and impact of changes on the critical path.
- Ensure daily project activities including but not limited to project team meetings, stakeholder meetings (both internal and external), and code releases.
- Reprioritize tasks based on the changing environment and escalate issues and risks in timely manner.
- Ensure a transition and handover from project team to operations team. Document all business rules, functional requirements, technical specifications, and support requirements to ensure smooth transition.
- Assist business partners to develop a Project Initiation Document, solution concepts, requirements, design alternatives, project schedules, and costs.
- Maintain and monitor the project budget against the actual spend.
- Reconcile the figures and report on financial status.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- First-level university degree in Computer Science, Project Management, Business Management, Information Management, Communications, or other related discipline.
- Master's level university degree in Business Administration, Project Management, Computer Science, Information Management, Engineering, or related discipline.
- Professional qualification or foundation certification in project management methodologies such as PMI, Prince 2 or Lean Six Sigma.
- Training in Software Development Life Cycles or any application development methodology.
- Certification in ITIL Service Management Framework.
- Proven skills in the areas of Project Management, planning, organizing, budget, and finance with a careful attention to detail to continuously monitor progress actions and initiatives.
- Ability to adapt and manage deliverables and resources in a climate of change and to think and act quickly, sometimes under pressure yet remain effective.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with teams in an international, multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary environment; separated by geographical locations and working under different time-zones.
- Ability to promote best practices, advise on improvements, independently perform research, and apply information from a broad range of sources.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to influence, negotiate, advocate, motivate, resolve conflict, and adapt relevant leadership styles to a variety of situations.
- Excellent communication (both oral and written), problem solving and analytical skills.
- Strong consultancy skills.
- Proactive, flexible, resourceful and able to work independently with limited supervision.
- At least 2 years of professional experience in project planning, management and successfully delivering complex projects, some of which should be at the global or international level.
- Demonstrated professional experience working with Project Boards and Steering Committees.
- Demonstrated professional experience in change management activities.
- Experience in business process analysis.
- Experience in writing project-related documentation, or technical papers.
- Experience in implementing ERP projects on SAP, Oracle, Peoples oft or other known systems for corporate business processes.
- Experience with the UN organization or other UN agencies.
- Experience in applying the Oracle AIM Methodology in projects.
- Expert knowledge of English, both written and spoken.
- Working knowledge of another WHO official language such as French would be an added