The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation
DRC is looking for an experienced officer to work as a site-supervisor at the Wadi Gharaba Special Conservation Area in the Jordan Valley, Balqa Governorate. The officer site-supervisor will be in charge of managing 80 cash for workers over the 9 months duration of the project. The officer site-supervisor will work closely with the Jordan Birdwatch Association and relevant local community stakeholders.
About the job
The individual will report directly to Livelihood Team Leader .Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Jointly with the Team Leader work on explaining the project to the authorities, local communities and other stakeholders ensuring buy-in and support for the project objectives;
- Take the lead in identification of interested cash for workers on the project site as well as organize their contracts;
- Provide daily supervision, support and motivation to cash for workers, including ensuring proper utilization of the attendance sheets;
- Ensure site and worker’s security is guaranteed at all times;
- Support in providing bi-weekly cash payments to the cash for workers;
- Work closely with the project IM and MEAL team to ensure up to date and accurate data on the cash for workers is provided to the project team leader;
- Maintain positive, respectful and constructive relationship with local communities as well as authorities around the project site;
- Maintain a positive, respectful and constructive professional relationship with the Jordan Birdwatch Association and consult them on all technical matters related to the work accomplished by the cash for workers on the Wadi Gharaba site conservation;
- Ensure cash for workers are well informed of their rights and responsibilities and hold regular meetings with them to anticipate any challenges;
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant area (e.g. economics, environmental conservation, development studies, Business) advantageous or a combination of a business related university degree and additional relevant experience.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in a similar role working with an international or national humanitarian organizations;
- Experience working on cash for work and livelihood projects;
- Strong local knowledge of the Wadi Gharaba/Balqa governorate area;
- Willingness to be present daily on the project site;
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to foster communication and negotiation among local stakeholders;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Basic computer skills.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.