Project Officer Sr - MEAL
Catholic Relief Services, Nairobi City, Kenya
Closing Date for Applications:
You will provide Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL) technical support to a range of program/project design and implementation issues in line with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) program quality principles, standards and policies, donor guidelines, and industry best practices to advance the delivery of high-quality programming to the poor and vulnerable. Working with the Country Program MEAL Manager you will support Country Program level MEAL reporting and compliance tracking. Your MEAL knowledge and support will ensure data is readily available to be used as a foundation for programmatic adjustments and evidence-based decision-making and contribute to how effective, adaptive and innovative CRS Kenya’s programming is.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Manage and implement all MEAL activities throughout relevant project cycles – project design, start-up, implementation and close-out – to ensure efficient and effective implementation in line with CRS program quality principles and standards and MEAL policies, procedures and practices, donor MEAL requirements, and industry good practices.
- Lead the development and implementation of project MEAL systems and practices while advancing the use of ICT4MEAL, that effectively engage partners, donors, and other stakeholders and are compliant with CRS and donor MEAL requirements.
- Contribute to evaluation and research events through the development and/ or review of terms of reference that include a balance of qualitative and quantitative methods, and the necessary level of technical rigor.
- Contribute to accountability by leading monitoring and evaluation activities, ensuring quality data collection and data management activities and guiding staff and partners in their efforts to analyze and reflect on project data and experiences for evidence-based decision making and adaptive management.
- Facilitate set up, roll-out and implementation of project and CP level feedback and response mechanism (FRM).
- Promote documentation and application of learning to improve program quality and to strengthen agency influence.
- Serve as a resource person for MEAL in project design and proposal development as needed, supporting the design of project-level theories of change, results frameworks, Proframes (logical frameworks) and MEAL narratives.
- Support CP level MEAL reporting and agency MEAL requirements compliance tracking.
- Build MEAL capacity of CRS project and partner staff to ensure assigned project MEAL activities are implemented per project guidelines and standards, optimizing partner participation and capacity development in the implementation of MEAL systems.
- Foster respectful relationships with community members and stakeholders and serve as the liaison between them and the project team on MEAL activities, promoting honesty and integrity between CRS and partner staff in MEAL work.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong analysis, critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills with ability to make sound judgment.
- Good relationship management skills and the ability to work closely with other staff and local partners.
- Proactive, results-oriented and service-oriented.
- Attention to details, accuracy and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities.
- Presentation, facilitation, training, and mentoring skills
- Strong active listening and communication skills using both formal and informal approaches.
- Required Languages - Excellent verbal and written communication in English, able to write reports in an understandable manner
Travel - Must be willing and able to travel up to 50%.
- Periodically oversee work of MEAL Assistants, enumerators and data clerks
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: Other MEAL (CP, EARO, Global) staff, Non- MEAL Project Officers and Managers
- External: Community members, partner staff, other local stakeholders, MEAL staff from peer agencies
- Bachelor's Degree in Demography, Social Sciences, Statistics, International Development or other MEAL related field is required. Master’s degree would be a plus.
- Minimum of four years of work experience in project management in the field of MEAL and for an NGO.
- Experience designing, implementing and building capacity on MEAL systems while employing adult learning principles.
- Experience working with stakeholders at various levels and strengthening partnerships.
- Experience monitoring projects and collecting relevant data using mobile-data collection and management software (e.g. Commcare, I-form builder, Kobo, ODK).
- Experience in designing and overseeing implementation of program studies and evaluations and using the findings to support adaptive management.
- Experience analyzing data using SPSS or other data analysis software and contributing to evaluation reports.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications and information management systems.
- Ability to contribute to the development of technical proposals, a plus.
- Staff supervision experience a plus.
- This position is open to Kenyan Nationals only