In the Kyrgyz Republic, constitutional reform in 2010 and parliamentary elections in 2011 and 2015 have created a more responsive parliamentary system building the foundation for an improved governance system and application of rule of law and human rights. However, public sector effectiveness, efficiency, accountability, and transparency of institutions and processes remain key areas for improvement. To date, citizens’ expectations for more transparent, effective basic services have yet to be met, and polls continue to show that corruption, accountability, and economic development are perceived by the citizens as priorities.
Under the framework of its Country Project Document (CPD) 2018-2022, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in the Kyrgyz Republic is implementing an integrated assistance project to the Parliament of the Kyrgyz Republic, the Jogorku Kenesh, and its stakeholders, the Strong and Inclusive Parliamentary Democracy (SIPD) project, seeking to embed institutional accountability, inclusive democracy and realization of the rule of law in Kyrgyz Republic. The SIPD is a ten-year initiative funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) and it is designed around the
achievement of the following two outcomes:
- Parliament sets national strategic priorities in accordance with citizens’ needs, and oversees their implementation by the government;
- Civil society actors promote active citizenship and effectively influence political processes to better serve the needs and priorities of the country’s citizens.
- The project will also contribute to a wider objective, namely to implement the Sustainable Development Goals Agenda and in particular SDG 16. The expected long-term impact is to contribute to the strengthening of the principle of accountability as a key factor for sustaining peace.
- Under the direct supervision of Policy Advisor/ Project Coordinator and overall guidance of Rule of Law Chief Technical Advisor, the Project Specialist will be responsible for implementation of relevant activities under the respective project components, for providing sound technical advice to the Parliament, implementing partners and national counterparts, as well as supporting coordination, analysis and strategic partnerships with Parliament and CSOs stakeholders.
- The emphasis of the assignment will be also on building strategic relationships with national counterparts and provide proper advice to the Parliament and implementing partners, including civil society organizations dealing with the Jogorku Kenesh. The Specialist is also expected to work with staff in the UNDP CO and at the project level, to promote effective achievement of results, ensure information sharing and promote knowledge, as well as develop viable working relationships with colleagues across the organization and counterparts, ensuring responsive client orientation and problem-solving attitude.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide support in developing and implementing the Project Annual and Quarterly Workplans;
- Provide substantive assistance and analysis advise to the Policy Advisor/ Project Coordinator;
- Draft project documents, work plans and reports required for the purposes of annual planning, resource mobilization, collaboration with partners, reporting to donors etc;
- Ensure timely and adequate implementation of activities under the relevant AWP;
- Undertake regular monitoring visits to projects’ sites, conduct meetings with beneficiaries and partners and produce regular reporting on projects’ progress and constraints;
- Undertake all exercises regarding mapping, baseline and assessments and surveys, to establish realistic and contextualized baselines for projects’ development and monitoring
- Support capacity and knowledge building of national counterparts and projects’ staff on parliamentary and civil society issues, including facilitating technical trainings, workshops, conferences, seminars, as necessary;
- Oversee implementation and provide advice to the Civic Action Fund activities including the process of selection of grant beneficiaries in relation to parliamentary accountability;
- Maintain regular contacts with members and technical staff of Parliamentary Committees to implement activities in relation to citizen’s accountability;
- Provide periodical analysis of policy and political trends to support the implementation of the project as well as updating risk logs;
- Research best international practices and develop suitable innovative mechanisms for parliamentary accountability;
- Act as focal person for coordination with Public Advisory Councils for improving cooperation with parliament and civil society;
- Gather necessary information from other relevant projects and partners;
- Present information on project component activities to relevant institutions and governmental bodies, as well as ensure dissemination to broader public;
- Provide material for outreach activities including social media;
- Cooperate and liase with all relevant government stakeholders and other partners to ensure proper coordination and partnership in common development efforts;
- Undertake field visits when needed;
- Perform other tasks as required.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others;
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision-making.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor degree in Political Science, Law, Economy, Communication or related field;
- Master Degree in Political Science, Law, Economy, Communication or related field is an advantage.
- At least 4 years of relevant work experience in working with state authorities in the field of governance at national or international level;
- Experience of working with international organizations, high-level government officials representing central governmental bodies and local administrations;
- Proven experience in working with Government institutions and/or CSOs;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
- Working experience in international organizations is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Russian;
- Knowledge of Kyrgyz is an advantage.