Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. Since September 2016, IOM became the UN Migration Agency.
In line with the IOM organizational structure, the incumbent will be instituted at the Country Office based in Cairo. In particular, the incumbent has an important role to play in supporting the implementation of activities and interventions aiming to improve access to services for migrants and Egyptian communities hosting them. The UN Volunteer will in particular support the implementation of IOM’s migrant and refugee assistance and community cohesion activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Manager of the Labour Mobility and Human Development Division (LHD), and under the technical guidance of the assigned Project Assistant, the Project Support Assistant will undertake the following tasks:
In the context of this IOM Mission’s activities related the PROMOTING COMMUNITY COHESION FOR SYRIAN FEMALE REFUGEES AND MEMBERS OF THEIR HOSTING COMMUNITIES Project:
- Conduct necessary administrative work related to project implementation in partnership with the assigned Project Assistant;
- Follow up on the processing of payments, submitting of reports and all related documentation related to the project;
- Support in procuring materials and equipment as per project expected results;
- Support in coordinating efforts in providing health, education and related services to target beneficiaries, as well as promoting community cohesion and livelihood for targeted groups;
- Support the implementation of project activities related to the project and/or the thematic area of focus (events, field visits, launching of calls for proposals, revising and endorsing projects proposed by local Community Service Organizations (CSOs), etc);
- Support in liasing with CSOs in the target communities and conduct weekly follow up on the implementation of project activities in partnership with the CSOs;
- Support in reporting on progress of project activities to supervisor in coordination with the assigned Project Assistant;
- Supporting in the coordination and implementation of project events and stakeholder meetings, including drafting invitations, agendas and reaching out to stakeholders;
- Assisting in the monitoring and evaluation activities related to the project and their organization;
- Support HR of the mission in the recruitment of various consultants involved in expatriate engagement and local community development (drafting TORs, shortlisting CVs, drafting interview protocol, organizing all necessary recruitment documentation, reviewing contracts, reviewing and reporting on consultant performance, etc);
- Maintain a filing plan for project documents; both electronic and physical;
- Contribute to communications and public media including drafting and translation of press releases of relevant activities;
- Facilitating focus group discussions with local CSOs;
- Any other business as indicated by the LHD Programme Manager.
- Contributing to the development of projects and programmes related to the unit’s thematic areas; and
- Support other programme tasks that are related to the thematic area indicated.
- Adaptability and Flexibility
- Ethics and Values
- Knowledge Sharing
- Planning and Organizing
- Working in Teams
Required Skills and Experience
- Completed university degree from an accredited academic institution;
- Two years of relevant professional experience;
- Experience in working on migration issues, with particular experience related to the UN administrative system – preference to having sound knowledge of IOM’s working policies and systems;
- Ability to write clear and concise reports and consolidate information from a variety of sources.