Background Information - Job-specific:
The Project Support Officer reports to the Project Manager who provides broad supervision and guidance. The role is responsible for supporting the Project Manager with the day-to-day operations of the mission and coordinating mission progress and implementation. He/she maintains a close eye on the operational and financial performance, identifies probable issues that may need attention, supports in problem analysis and solution identification as necessary, coordinate resolution as per action-items assigned, drafting required correspondences to stakeholders concerned and preparation of mission reports. The role can often be required to work in complex and challenging environments with limited resources. This role is based in Mogadishu, Somalia.
- Support the Project Manager in ensuring UNOPS Policies and Procedures, Financial Rules and Regulations (FR&R) are adhered to for efficient project implementation and progress;
- Monitor project financials and advise the Project Manager accordingly;
- Track expenditure and take relevant action when required to revise budgets (realignment and amendment);
- Monitor and record best practices and innovative approaches within UNOPS FR&R; identify and show alternative options according to Activity needs;
- Managing information flows and overseeing change controls, risk registers and issue management; document and feedback lessons learned and best practices;
- Supporting the project planning process;
- Maintenance of all supporting project financial documents for audit and review processes;
- Management of work packages within the project as and when required;
- Assist the Project manager in monitoring of the project quality indicators and undertaking monthly assurance tasks on behalf of the Project Manager
- Supervise Project Assistant(s) within the Team, to ensure work efficiency and quality at all times.
Financial and procurement management:
- Maintain all supporting project financial documents for audit and review processes.
- Ensure accurate data entry into UNOPS ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) system.
- Monitor project budget and financial expenditure and all administrative procedures in line with the work-plan.
- Process direct payments and advance requests and prepare project budget revisions.
- Produce financial reports; including developing financial monitoring and reporting formats as per UNOPS requirements.
- Support the Project Manager by monitoring budgets, cash flow and reporting on expense obligations to ensure that deliverables are met.
- Alert the Project Manager or any financial shortfalls and over-expenditures.
- Propose budget revision and initiate corrective action when necessary.
- Coordinate vendor communications, meetings, and reports as necessary
Project monitoring and reporting:
- Provide substantive inputs to assist the Project Manager in the preparation of project reports and documents.
- Maintain records of project files and other supporting documents.
- Maintain the following records: Quality Register, Configuration Item Records and all other registers/logs delegated by the Project Manager
- Support the Project Manager in maintaining the following:
- Electronic Blue File,
- Procurement, HR and Finance files as required by Organizational Directive (OD) 12.
- Manage the compilation, consolidation and analysis of relevant data of the mission.
- Assist the Project Manager in the preparation of project completion reports and ensure compliance with contractual obligations.
Coordination and Liaison:
- Contract management of all contracts (Procurement, HR, Service Contracts etc) under the Project
- Proactively coordinate/liaise with support units on all administrative matters related to contract management
- Liaise with the Programme Management Office (PMO) Team Members to complete project assurance related tasks.
Knowledge management and innovation:
- Support the compilation of lessons learned as per defined reporting format.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for planning and knowledge building.
- Contribute to expertise in tools and techniques.
Operational and Logistic Support:
- In consultation with the relevant stakeholders, assist in preparing amendments of Agreements and Budget revisions when applicable;
- Review input of financial information, expenditures etc in ATLAS
- Ensure conformity of project disbursement requests with procedures, work plans, and availability of resources for expenditure;
- Support development and maintenance of ATLAS based management information systems to ensure real time tracking and asset management under the project activities;
- Liaise with the Finance Unit to process and monitor all payment requests within the Project
- Assist the Project Manager in monitoring all HR requirements and related activities under the Project
- Preparation of Terms of Reference (ToR) for required inputs in the projects (staff, individual and institutional consultancy services, procurement of goods and services, organization of training, seminars, etc.), with expert and/or client support as required;
- Providing induction briefings to newly recruited staff and render support to consultants in the course of their assignment;
- Supervise and review submissions for Contracts, Purchase orders, Waivers and related documents prior to final approval;
- In accordance with UN and UNOPS Security Policies, manage travel for all personnel in the Project Team
- Organize all project and stakeholder meetings as and when necessary, and maintain records of these meetings.
- Maintain records of project files and Activity reports in hard and soft copy.
- Prepare budget forecast and periodic financial reports as requested.
- Review weekly Activity reports and quarterly financial reports with respect to outputs based on work plans and budget forecasts
- Liaise with finance and logistics/procurement units in tracking commitments and disbursements.
- Identify operational, administrative, financial and other bottlenecks that may impede project delivery; recommend solutions and take appropriate remedial action
- On behalf of the Project and as directed by the Project Manager, participate in periodic visits to the project sites within Somalia to review compliance with recognized procedures.
- Establish and monitor an internal control system for all administrative actions
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Project Manager.
Impact of Results:
The Project Support Officer directly impacts on achievement of project results by assisting the Project Manager to adhere to project management methods and strategies, reduced risks, cut costs and improved success rates. This consequently reinforces the visibility and image of UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.
Education: A Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field (e.g. Business Administration, Logistics, Emergency Management, International Relations). A Master’s degree will be an asset.
- A minimum of 2 years relevant and progressive professional experience, specifically in the field of Project Management and Operations Management with focus on monitoring, reporting, development and coordination is required.
- Experience in humanitarian emergency operating contexts, including humanitarian coordination mechanisms, donors, security, and operations management is an asset.
- Experience and demonstrated knowledge of UN rules and procedures in Procurement, Finance, HR Management and administrative rules and regulations will be an advantage.
- Working experiences in Somalia will be an added advantage
- Full working knowledge of English is essential.
- Fluency in one or more additional official UNOPS languages is an advantage.