Background Information - Project:
UNOPS South Sudan Country Office plans to implement the Support to South Sudan River Transport Project. The project aims at designing and building a fit for purpose river barge suitable for South Sudan’s White Nile River and its tributaries.
The incumbent will be responsible to abide by the security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
Background Information – Job Specific:
The Project Support Officer (PSO), shall report directly to the Project Manager, monitors all aspects of project progress and implementation, identifies operational and financial problems and assists in resolving them by taking appropriate action. S/He will provide support to the Project Manager in all aspects of the project cycle with a focus on Project Acceptance, Project Implementation, Project Closure and Budget Management.
- Project Implementation
- Project monitoring and reporting
- Stakeholder management, coordination and liaison
- Knowledge management and innovation
- Lead all administration and financial aspects of the project
- Maintain thorough knowledge of the project, as well as an understanding of how that impacts the other stakeholders
- Monitor, coordinate, and communicate strategic objectives of the project
- Facilitate communications for project related issues
- Work with project staff members to develop a greater understanding of the project and any issues that arise
- Develop and foster relationships between UN, stakeholders, and other entities
- Collect, analyze, and utilize data and feedback to identify opportunities to improve the relationship between UN and the donor
- Compile reports about particular incidents, events, or updates about important issue for the project
- Proactively solve conflicts and address issues that could occur between parties
- Carry out any other duties and projects as required by the Project Manager.
Project monitoring and reporting:
- Provide substantive inputs to assist the Project Manager in the preparation of project reports and documents
- Assist the Project Manager in the preparation of project completion reports and ensure compliance with contractual obligations.
Stakeholder management, coordination and liaison:
- Support the coordination and management of communications
- Liaise and build relationships between UNOPS and the donor for the purposes of facilitating activities and improving the quality and relevance of information analysis
- Participate in meetings with UN agencies, NGO’s and other Stakeholders as required.
Knowledge management and innovation:
- Support the compilation of lessons learned as per defined reporting format
- Ensure that Local capacities are built at every level and opportunity for Project Support
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for planning and knowledge building
- Contribute to expertise in tools and techniques.
Impact of Results:
The Project Support Officer directly impacts on achievement of project results by assisting the Project Manager to adhere to project management methods and strategies, reduced risks, cut costs and improved success rates. This consequently reinforces the visibility and image of UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or Logistics or Project Management or Emergency Management or International Relations or related field with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience is required.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration or Logistics or Project Management or Emergency Management or International Relations or related field is an asset.
- Minimum of 2 years work experience in the field of Project Management and/or Operations Management is required.
- Experience in humanitarian emergency operating contexts, including humanitarian coordination mechanisms, donors, security, and operations management is an asset;
- Experience and knowledge of UN rules and procedures in Procurement and/or Finance and/or HR Management and/or administrative rules and regulations will be an advantage;
- Previous experience working with UNOPS and/or Japanese projects and/or South Sudan is an advantage;
- Experience working in post-conflict or conflict situations is an advantage;
- Skills in Budget Management is essential.
- Fluent working knowledge of English is required;
- Knowledge of Arabic language desired.