This position may support business development within multiple practice areas, one of which is FHI 360’s Global Education, Engagement and Employment (G3E) Business Unit. G3E plays a leading role in five technical areas including civil society and peace building, workforce strengthening and economic growth, international exchanges (scholarships program management, online learning, and sports and youth), global education and research and evaluation. Familiarity with and experience working in the sectors of democracy and governance, economic growth, international exchanges, education and/or research and evaluation is a plus.
Responsible for proposal development - ensuring security and integrity of all proposal documentation, coordinating internal flow and review of all proposal inputs, coordinating schedules, coordinating activities with cross-functional business areas, and directing submission of the final proposal. This is a headquarters based position.
- Partners with the technical leader to deliver a compliant, competitive proposal to the client on time. Oversees the entire proposal process, making sure that every member of the proposal team, including sub- and prime contractors, knows what is expected of him/her and when tasks are due.
- Creates the proposal schedule and keeps track of proposal progress (technical and business),
- Ensures milestones are met.
- Ensures proposals receive appropriate review(s).
- Assists the technical leader to ensure compliance with solicitation.
- Communicates changes or new information to the entire team. * Helps develop and communicate proposal strategy.
- Prepares proposal responsibility and compliance outline.
- Undertakes routine writing assignments.
- Assists the technical leader in securing resources, such as authors and reviewers.
- Provides updates on assigned proposals for accurate system tracking.
- Archives final proposal documentation.
- Performs other work as assigned.
- Ensures bid strategy implementation and compliance.
- Resolves internal team issues.
- Provides process leadership and experience.
- Generates a portion of own work through repeat clients requests.
- Contributes to process improvements.
- Supports performance management and professional development of direct reports, including ongoing feedback, coaching, and career support.
- Participates in developing proposal training for the organization.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Working knowledge of fundamental principles, terminology, and methodology of proposal development.
- Working knowledge of proposal management conventions.
- Effective organizational skills.
- Effective communication skills, required for providing diplomatic and constructive comments to clients.
- Skill in observing detail.
- Ability to foster good customer relationships to build client base.
- Ability to understand and follow written guidelines, including departmental policies, FHI360 policies and procedures, and work orders.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, and other staff.
- Effective multi-tasking and flexibility to meet competing needs and sensitive deadlines.
- Skill in abstracting, condensing and writing general information for inclusion in proposal documents.
- Ability to manage short-term and long term proposals of varying complexity.
- Ability to analyze tasks and determine appropriate level of effort * Ability to influence others.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Exercise judgment within well- defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
- Interact frequently with junior team members as resource and/or mentor.
- Understand quality and timeliness goals for projects.
- Work on assignments that are diverse and challenging in nature.
- Identify potential process inefficiencies.
- Employee works under general supervision; handles problems and deviations in assignments in accordance with policies and accepted practices; confers with supervisor on unusual matters; some latitude for un-reviewed action or decision; work is reviewed for technical soundness, appropriateness, and conformity to policy and goals.
- Works in team environment and may provide guidance to less experienced team members.
- Bachelor's Degree or International Equivalent in Business Administration, Public Health, Social Science or Related Field.
- Master's degree preferred.
- 3 - 5 years of work experience in program design, project management or related work; 1 year in proposal development. Familiar with Association of Proposal Management Professionals (APMP) and/or Shipley Associates processes preferred.