Location: Ankara with 50% travel within Turkey
Contract Duration: 3-6 months (subject to funding)
Reports to: Syria Response Director (SRD)
General Description of the Programme
GOAL is an international emergency and development NGO dedicated to alleviating the suffering of the poorest and most vulnerable. GOAL was established in 1977 and is currently operational in 13 countries world-wide.
GOAL began operations within Northern Syria in 2012 providing essential food, water, sanitation and livelihood assistance to people in critical need, and started responding to the refugee crisis within Turkey in 2014. From 2015-17 GOAL worked closely with the Ministries of Health as well as Family and Social Policy to respond to the health and protection needs of refugees in South Eastern Turkey.
Overview of the role
GOAL seeks a Protection and Inclusion Advisor (PIA) to support the start-up of the anticipated two-year, ECHO-funded LINK program, as well as developing complementary program concepts within livelihoods and social cohesion. The LINK program aims to connect vulnerable and marginalized communities to available state services and non-state services in Ankara, Gaziantep and Sanliurfa using the Individual Assistance Approach. Protection Champions in the community will be trained on key protection threats and messages and will help to identify and refer households for screening. In Gaziantep and Sanliurfa the program will exclusively target the Dom, a marginalized community currently excluded from most services.
Overall the PIA is responsible for the development of the programme approach, and the establishment of a program team with the capacity and systems in place to ensure quality programme delivery. The PIA will work closely with the Syria Response Director (SRD) and the Protection and Inclusion Coordinator (PICo), with technical support provided throughout the program duration by the GOAL Global Protection Advisor.
Experience in establishing high quality inclusion programming is a key requirement of a successful applicant. Integrating service delivery across program departments and promoting evidence based programming which takes in to account a view of the system as a whole, is key to this position, as is a commitment to managing adaptively. The Program Team is led by the PICo and includes Protection Officers, the Grant Manager and the M&E Manager. Program implementation will be through two national partner organisations with separate geographical coverage.
- Ensure professional management of GOAL’s programme staff through ensuring that all staff have relevant objectives, job description and that performance reviews take place.
PROPOSAL WRITING & REPORTING
- Lead on concept and proposal development from a programme perspective and coordinate and manage proposals, including proposal writing;
- Ensure the Grants & Partnership Team are cognisant of all aspects of GOAL Turkey’s reporting activities to Head Office (HO) and donors;
- Ensure the production and submission of programme donor reports;
- Ensure that programme progress is monitored and represented in the preparation and submission of monthly and annual programme reporting requirements.
- Work with implementing partner management, the DOM program manager, and the Partnership Coordinator (PC) to oversee the establishment of all programme implementation across the programme sites;
- Ensure programmes are well designed, and systems in place to ensure that they are delivered on time and on budget, are appropriately monitored and evaluated and delivered as expected to our communities;
- Ensure solid understanding of the needs, challenges and priorities of the current programme as well as understanding the next steps for the programme;
- Ensure that GOAL is delivering to our communities of operation in an integrated and unified way, which involves leading regular and appropriate forums for information exchange across and between partners and other stakeholders, and effective grant and programme planning and management;
- Support the development of in country expertise in protection, supporting a national staff capacity building agenda;
- Ensure GOAL programmes effectively mainstream Gender, Child Protection, HIV and Environment;
- Ensure GOAL policies and procedures for programme management are known and are being implemented.
MONITORING, EVALUATION, ACCOUNTABILITY and LEARNING (M.E.A.L)
- Support the establishment of the MEAL team as led by the M&E Manager;
- Work with the Global MEAL team to support the development of appropriate M&E and programme management tools and systems and to develop internal mechanisms for knowledge management;
- Ensure program quality of implementing partners is monitored and that knowledge management activities and organizational capacity development is provided to implementing partners as appropriate. Working with the PODA to ensure customized capacity building tools and approaches are used to ensure measurable impact;
- Ensure the quality of services provided is monitored through supervision of key staff, analysis and dissemination of M&E data and lessons learnt, and review of GOAL and other best practice guidelines;
- Provide direction and leadership in making GOAL Turkey CHS (former HAP) compliant;
- Support the M&E Manager to establish a system for quality preparation and submission of monthly and quarterly MEAL reports.
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT AND ACCOUNTABILITY
- Work closely with the Assistant Finance Controller – Donors (AFC-D), the Dom Program Manager and partners to ensure systems for strong financial management of programme budgets;
- Carry out detailed reviews of BMTs and donor status reports with the AFC-D;
- Ensure and support Partners complete regular budget reviews and forecasts and have the information required for accurate budget management and planning.
REPRESENTATION & SENIOR MANAGEMENT
- Establish a strong presence by GOAL in technical cluster fora including the protection cluster and case management working groups;
- Work with the PICo to ensure GOAL representation with Technical Government Ministries at all levels of project implementation, as well as for donor interaction, in collaboration with and as determined by the SRD;
- Support in the development of policies aimed at improving quality and efficiency of programme;
- Ensure GOAL policies and procedures as related to programmes to ensure GOAL and donor compliance.
- Work with the Dom Program Manager to ensure logistics, HR and finance protocols are followed by all programmes team members, and partners and collaborate closely with Internal Audit and Compliance staff to ensure the integration of compliance concerns into the work of the programme department;
- Work with the Logistics Coordinator to ensure appropriate logistics involvement at all stages of the programme cycle;
- Carry out other duties as requested by the SRD.
- Experience establishing protection or inclusion programming in the middle east or a similar environment is essential;
- At least three years of experience gained in programming targeting marginalized communities including case management and community outreach;
- At least two years of experience with an NGO at coordination level with demonstrable ability to lead a team of technical staff overseeing community level programing;
- Postgraduate degree in social sciences;
- Demonstrable previous experience in programme planning, budgeting, implementation and review in particular with implementation by national partners;
- Experience in developing effective empowerment strategies for migrant communities;
- Experienced and confident in representation with government at all levels; with donors including ECHO, EU, BPRM; the UN agencies including OCHA and the cluster system; and NGOs;
- Excellent management skills with the ability to quickly re-prioritise activities to meet the demands of the programme in a rapidly changing context;
- Extraordinary diplomacy skills and ability to rapidly read situations and determine appropriate responses;
- Good interpersonal and facilitation skills with the ability to lead teams to reach consensus on complex and/or divisive issues;
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate delays and bottlenecks, analyze risk and preemptively manage it;
- Commitment to capacity building staff and partner organisations;
- Excellent presentation, oral and writing skills in English;
- Proficiency in Arabic and Turkish an advantage.
Our package includes a competitive salary, shared accommodation, health and travel insurance and 20 days annual leave. Additional benefits are available after 12 months of service. Salary range for this role is €40,000 to €47,000.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.