The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
Overall purpose of the role:
Under the supervision of the Team leader the Protection assistant – community worker will be responsible for supporting the implementation of the DRC’s current and future protection activities related to refugee/host community in Dollo and Boklomayo area. The Protection Assistant –community worker will support and facilitate trainings, community meeting, campaign and other protection related issues. And also will collaborate with relevant local authorities and duty-bearers to improve protection-related assistance in the refugee/host community
- Implement protection activities, including awareness raising campaigns, meetings, home to home visit and cases referral and support for refugee/host community.
- Assist the supervisions of the access to justice referral mechanisms for refugee/ host communities Dollo and Boklomayo field area.
- Support and implement forums to enhance informal conflict resolution mechanisms in host communities.
- proffer and process referral to enhance access to justice for refugee/ host community
- Collaborate with other humanitarian agencies and government stakeholders legal aid providers to promote and enhance the protective environment for refugees/host.
- Manage and provide technical guidance to refugee incentive workers in refugee camps/host.
- Ensure DRC’s accountability commitments are mainstreamed into all protection activities.
- Support the protection team in sharing field update and information so as to give pre informed solution and feedback
Report Writing and Documentation
- Deliver daily update and weekly reports and plan.
- Ensure proper documentation of all project activities including means of verification, assessments and case studies.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum of 0-1 years of experience in the field of humanitarian response and refugee protection working for an international NGO, UN agency or relevant ministry or local authority.
- Technical understanding of protection concepts, particularly on the proffer and process referral, access to justice and basic right human being including experience with operationalizing global best practices and international standards for implementing protection programming in humanitarian contexts.
- Experience in Supporting and facilitating trainings and workshops on protection-related topics.
- Experience working with displaced or conflict affected populations Including experience on community mobilization and community entry activities
- Integrity, strong work ethic, and ability to consistently meet deadlines under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal skills and commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.) Diploma in law, social work, social sciences, international development, or other relevant field from a recognized institution.
Languages: (indicate fluency level): Excellent verbal and written proficiency in Somali and English.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC's vision and values