Danish Refugee Council, Kyaka, Uganda
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
Overall purpose of the role:
The purpose of this post is to implement the legal thematic area at DRC Kyaka II under the supervision of the Protection officer- Legal.
- Participate in and conduct information dissemination to persons of concern on Refugee legal framework and refugee rights
- Keep clients informed by maintaining contact and communicating case progress.
- Enhance trial proceedings through witness mobilization and assisting victims/survivors to record or make proper statements at police posts.
- Respond to inquiries and requests for assistance from persons of concern including scheduling, coordinating and conducting initial screening interviews.
- Participate in day to day implementation of legal assistance activities.
- Conduct regular meetings with the community to inform them about legal issues.
- Establish contacts and empower community based structures through regular meetings so as to effect community based protection approach.
- Coordinate and follow up with legal service provision and service providers.
- Ensure that all legal assistance work adheres to protection standards and principles as well as DRC guidelines and accountability standards.
- In collaboration with community representatives, undertake detailed situational analysis and propose appropriate implementation approaches.
- Work closely and monitor the paralegal community based workers in identification and follow up of cases at the community level.
- Conduct quarterly review meetings with paralegals to evaluate their performance at field and identify implementation gaps.
- Conduct monthly paralegal workers meeting to gather and analyze information.
- Proactively contribute to quality and timely drafting of weekly, monthly reports and quarterly reports
- Share daily updates on protection incidents and risks related to crime and human rights.
- Complete crime reports, case truckers, police monitoring tools and other protection tools
Planning: Proactively contribute to activity, spending and movement planning
- Assure that funds allocated to activities are used adequately and timely accountabilities submitted
- Assure that funds are used in accordance with all DRC / DDG finance procedures.
- On request perform any other additional duties assigned by the supervisors in order to allow the organization to function optimally.
- Adhere to DRC’s code of conduct
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience working with vulnerable communities, basic needs and protection programming experience, and/or advocacy programs.
- Professional training in legal assistance.
- Experience in protection interventions in line with Refugees operation.
- Experience working with UN or Non‐Governmental organizations.
- Proficiency in English (written and spoken) is essential.
- Good communication skills and ability to conduct training and awareness
- Computer skills.
- Good self-organization and basic management skills.
- Familiarity with Monitoring & Evaluation for UN-funded projects desired.
Education: A University degree in law, Political science, international relations, Human rights or relevant fields.
- Fluent English
- Knowledge of Kiswahili is an asset.