About the job
The Child Protection Officer’s primary function is to ensure quality implementation of the Child protection thematic area in synergy with the larger protection and gender-based violence components which constitute the overall DRC programme in Cox’s Bazar. He/She is responsible to oversee a team of child protection assistants, case workers and volunteers at the field level level. The CP Officer, in collaboration with the CP Team Leader, is also responsible for representing DRC in any relevant field based thematic meetings with stakeholders and otherwise as needed. In addition, He/She will be responsible for ensuring that the work of the team is compliant with donors and internal DRC reporting and accountability policy and procedures.
The CP Officer is also responsible to develop/strengthen relationships with agencies, governance structures (such as the CiCs) - at the field level - in close cooperation with the Child Protection Team Leader.
Project Development, implantation and reporting
- Ensure daily quality implementation, monitoring and evaluation of child protection- related projects and interventions
- Engage with the community and community representatives to understand needs and gaps in child protection programming
- Maintain close contacts with local authorities such as CiCs in the refugee settlement; intervene as and when necessary to protect children.
- Take a leading role in setting up Child Friendly Spaces (CFS) – liaising with the community
- Take a leading role in setting up the mobile outreach component for girls – identifying needs and designing the modality reflective of that
- Support child protection cases that come through the information hubs/community service desks in ensuring services respond to the needs of persons of concern, provide them information and resources to access services and make appropriate referrals to other service providers if required.
- Identification of youth leaders and providing technical guidance and support to establish a programme for the CFS
- Support systems and operational procedures of out of home care programs including support systems for foster parents, care-givers, and families.
- Assess the knowledge and utilization of health and other services available for the children.
- Ensure updated filing and documentation of child protection cases in line with UNHCR and DRC standard tools.
Staff Development and management
- Provide technical and programmatic leadership to the child protection team in the field on a day to day basis
- Provide technical and programmatic leadership to the community-based mechanisms such as Child Protection Committees in Cox’s Bazar operational area as needed.
- Support case workers in identification and ensuring that reporting is in line with guidelines from the Case management Taskforce (UNICEF/UNHCR)
- Identify needs in regards to capacity building and liaise with Child Protection Team Leader and CP Manager to address the needs
Co ordination and representation
- The officer is the main focal point for Child Protection in the field
- Represent DRC in any relevant field based thematic meetings with stakeholders and otherwise as needed
- Liaise with UNHCR Focal Point on the ground
- Coordinate and follow up with CP service provision and service providers in the field
Support management team to:
- Follow up all DRC / DDG Procedures for Security, Finance, Logistics, HR and Administration.
- Uphold DRC’s international code of conduct
- Any other tasks as may be assigned from time to time.
- To be successful in this role we expect you to be flexible and proactive in engaging with existing and potential programming in a changing operational context.
- As this is an emergency start-up for DRC Bangladesh; flexibility in deployment locations and ToR changes is essential.
Moreover, we also expect the following Qualifications and Experience:
- A University degree in social sciences, development studies, guidance and counselling or relevant fields.
- Minimum of two years’ experience working with vulnerable communities, basic needs and distribution programming experience, and/or advocacy programs.
- Experience in protection interventions in line with Refugees operation
- Experience of working with UN or Non‐Governmental organizations.
- Good communication skills and ability to conduct training and awareness
- Computer skills (Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Good organizational and management skills.
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Chittagonian (required)