Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified individual to fill-in the vacancy of Protection Officer - Community Centers Supervisor to work in Damascus/Rural Damascus under employment contract
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been actively operating in Syria since 2008 mainly supporting refugees. In June 2012, DRC was authorized by the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) to expand its humanitarian efforts and provide assistance to IDPs and the vulnerable resident population countrywide. Since then, DRC activities have been focused on NFI distributions, Shelter, WASH, Protection, Education, Livelihoods and Mine Risk Education in six Governorates (Damascus, Rural Damascus, Dara'a, Aleppo, Hama, and Homs). While Protection/community service activities are provided to beneficiaries throughout our six Community Centers.
About the job
Coordination and management of the Community centre under his/her responsibility
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitor that Centre’s staff / volunteers/students/beneficiaries/visitors respect the Centre and the DRC Code of Conduct.
- Monitor in consultation with staff and volunteers in the center the humanitarian and contextual situation in the area.
- Together with the DRC PM, CC'-C and technical project staff work to identify needs/gaps and prepare appropriate follow-up actions
- Ensure timely and quality implementation and management of the activities in the community center
- Coordinate with Project Manager, CC Supervisor as well as technical project staff to appraise the progress and ability of the center's staff and volunteers.
- Assess center and community needs with the aim to propose new community-based activities / services.
- Design and develop community centers activities plan in coordination with PM/CC Supervisor and technical project staff.
- Identify action priorities and prepare work-plans in coordination with the PM / CC Supervisor and technical staff as well as volunteers.
- Ensure in different ways that the progress of the center's beneficiaries/students are monitored throughout (focus group discussions with them and/or their parents;)
- Monitor daily attendance for all the activities/services, evaluate if activities/services met the objectives and if needed suggest corrective actions
- Ensure that the center facilities and equipment are appropriately used.
- Assist the CC Supervisor in the recruitment of new volunteers.
- Be responsible for conducting DRC and programme briefing at the beginning of each cycle.
- Facilitate Social events, Bazars, outdoor Activities, etc.
- Undertake additional duties as assigned by the PM and CC Supervisor
- Hold regular meetings with the centres’ staff and volunteers once a week and take minutes
- Ensure and promote a strong team-spirit amongst staff and volunteers – as well as a smooth coordination / communication with general and technical supervisors at DRC Main office.
- Supervise the community center's staff and volunteers in accordance to their daily attendance and performance.
- Support center's social counselors and volunteers in promoting community engagement through the center / in the shelters / in the community
- Prepare the monthly incentive list and ensure that it reaches the main office as per the set deadline.
- Prepare financial plan on a monthly basis in accordance with the Activities plan.
- Prepare order requests and submit to head office in accordance with the submitted and approved payment and procurement plan. (by 25th of each month)
- Ensure all vouchers / supporting documents reach the main office and the CC-C as per the set deadline.
- Oversee and provide any financial overview to the DRC Syria main office, if / when requested
- Verify that the center's utilities (Gas, Water electricity, phone) are paid on regular basis
- Submit the list of office supplies and stationery needs for the community center to the main office logistics department as per the set monthly deadline.
- Prepare inventory lists to the DRC Syria main office as and when requested.
- Submit monthly log-books and overview of fuel consumption to the main office. (safety advisor and logistics department)
- Report on daily (or as required) basis by phone to the Safety Advisor in the Main office on the situation in the area. (Situational update; contextual changes; security concerns; population movement etc.)
- As agreed with the safety advisor submit written overview of the situation in the area. (weekly)
- Ensure, edit and validate, where necessary, that weekly activity reports are timely submitted to relevant technical departments in main office (Counselling; Education; Vocational / LH; Emergency
- Hold weekly meetings with the centers’ staff and volunteers and take minutes. (where relevant to be shared with the PM and the CC-C)
- Ensure strong coordination and cooperation with SARC branch in the area and submit overview of activities, as requested.
- Take part in regular field coordination meetings (UNHCR-UNICEF-SARC – IOM -) take minutes and send to DRC Project Manager / CC Supervisor.
- Attend weekly /monthly SARC coordination meeting.
- Ensure representation from the CC to the DRC main office’s weekly General Meetings
- Bachelor’ Degree in Management, Social Sciences or similar related education
- Minimum two years of work experience in similar field/operations
- Good command of the English language
- Advanced computer skills and MS programs
- Commitment to and understanding of DRC’s aims, values and principles
- Solid knowledge of humanitarian operations
- Solid Communication and Interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated strong project management experience
- Demonstrated work experience as a team leader of large team.
- Motivated to work in a multi-cultural working environment.