The Protection Officer will be 100% field based and will support the implementation of the DRC's protection objectives and activities.
He / she will support the DRC office in Burundi with the establishment of a cross-border referral system for refugees returning from Tanzania, including the follow-up of referrals with local actors as well as the organization of training on referral system.
Responsibilities include, but are not necessarily limited to, the following:
- Refer protection cases to the concerned protection officer and / or team leader; including the updating of relevant databases on referrals and feedback
- Supports the organization of a workshop on the implementation of cross-border referencing system
- Organization of training on the protection, management '' information and referral
- In conjunction with the DRC Protection Officer in Tanzania, monitoring of cross-border referrals
- Ensure that the entire protection team is aware of the referral structures and if necessary organize the above training
- Support other field teams in the organization of coordination meetings
- Identification of local actors working on the protection of returnees, internally displaced persons or host population
Coordination and representation
- Develop and support a coordination system at the provincial level
- Development of structures and tools with local actors
- Represent the DRC in Relevant technical coordination meetings, on request
- Maintain strict protocols in terms of security, international and national standards of confidentiality and consent;
- Understand and monitor activities and assess progress of implementation, provide solutions and report problems as appropriate.
- Ensure that the information management system that is in place in the deployment area is applied and respected.
- Ensure records are maintained according to agreed standards to ensure donor compliance and accountability
REQUIRED EXPERIENCES AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Hold a university degree in law or a degree in social sciences or political science, and have 4 to 5 years of experience in a similar position.
In addition, we also expect the following:
- Field experience in the field of protection, child protection, GBV or trafficking
- Experience in organizing trainings
- Excellent skills in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Good command of French (oral and written); Fluency in English desirable
- An understanding of humanitarian / civil society issues in Burundi
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multiethnic, multicultural and multidisciplinary environment
- Ability to multitask and to face competing demands within tight deadlines
SKILLS AND PERSONAL ABILITIES
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good behavior and morals
- Flexibility, enthusiasm and willingness to learn from others