Danish Refugee Council, Athens, Greece
Closing Date for Applications:
DRC has been operating in Greece since December 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
Under supervision of the Protection Team Leader and in close coordination with other protection colleagues, DRC field units, POCs and other relevant actors in Attica, the Protection Officer will be 100% field-based and will support the implementation of DRC’s protection objectives and activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited, to the following:
- Maintain a strong protection analysis of issues and trends in the protection situation within and affecting the area of deployment for programme, advocacy and management purposes.
- Maintain an oversight of services provided and available to persons of concern with whom the protection team is working in the area of deployment.
- Conduct vulnerability assessments, so as to Identify social, legal, psychosocial, socio-economic and administrative needs of Persons of Concern (PoC) and/or support related exercises;
- Provide referral/support to DRC legal services and external services including social benefits, NFIs, accommodation, medical appointments;
- Program and team oversight and support
- Supervise and support the protection team in the implementation of agreed protection activities through provision of day-to-day support and operational guidance;
- Ensure agreed protection activities are delivered on time and to agreed standards.
- Ensure preparation of required project and work plans, in coordination with Protection Monitoring Team Leader.
- Undertake planning and provide feedback to the Protection Team Leader on procurement and logistics needs, or any issues relating to staffing.
- With the protection team, identify, advocate for and support opportunities to mainstream protection considerations into DRC or other programs.
Coordination and Representation
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with external stakeholders, including government authorities, UNHCR, KEELPNO, other organizations and service providers (including service referral focal points), and other relevant stakeholders, as well as persons of concern in the
- area of deployment.
- Act as a focal point for contact between DRC protection management, other DRC Attica protection teams (eg Protection Monitoring Team Leader, PSS Officer, RCM Coordinator, Legal Aid team, Protection manager, other DRC protection officers in other sites, etc), between the DRC protection team in the area of deployment and other DRC units, and with other agencies in the area of deployment.
- Ensure service mapping and effective referral pathways are kept up to date.
- Refer protection cases to relevant partners; including updating relevant databases on referrals and feedback
- Represent the DRC protection team on site level meetings when requested.
- Reporting, monitoring and evaluation
- Ensure reports are delivered on time and to agreed standards.
- Regularly monitor the progress of protection activities against project plans and timelines.
- Support and undertake program monitoring and evaluation activities, including regular activity monitoring, documentation of case studies, best practices and lessons learned, as agreed with line manager.
- Ensure sound financial management and expenditure tracking, and the preparation, delivery and filing of agreed financial documentation.
- Provide inputs for the review of DRC SOPs and other work processes and identify gaps and challenges and make recommendations for improvements.
- Contribute to continual improvements in DRC protection programming and ways of working, through identification and communication of challenges, gaps, recommendations for improvements and lessons learnt (what works well, what does not).
- Information Management
- Ensure to apply and comply with the information management system which is in place in the area of deployment.
- Ensure files and MOVs are maintained to agreed standards to ensure donor compliance and Accountability
- In collaboration with the Protection Monitoring Team Leader and Protection Coordinator and other colleagues, contribute to the development and design of DRC Attica’s protection program and activities.
- Research, Advocacy and Communications
- Conduct or support primary and secondary research on designated topics, as agreed under the guidance of the Protection Team Leader or Protection Coordinator.
- Working knowledge of English and/or Greek language is required. Additional language skills (e.g.: French, Arabic, Farsi or Kurdish languages) are a distinct advantage.
- At least 3 years working experience in a related field;
- Academic background or professional experience in social work, social science or other relevant field will be considered as a strong advantage
- Experience of community-based or community mobilization work in a humanitarian context is an asset.