NRC Afghanistan is now looking for a dedicated Protection Project Manager to help NRC reduce the impact of the armed conflict upon civilians. The new Protection Project Manager will work on setting up our new programme in Kunduz and Balkh provinces in 2020-2021; working closely with the south area Protection Project Manager, Area Managers, Field Coordinators and the Protection Unit in Kabul. We are looking for an experienced protection manager, someone who has background on implementing the Protection of Civilians and Community Based Protection programming and who is strong on capacity building.
This is an exciting opportunity to join one of the biggest humanitarian operation and a dedicated team of humanitarians.
NRC AFGHANISTAN PROTECTION PROGRAMME
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) established operations in Afghanistan in 2003. We respond across Afghanistan, including in hard-to-access provinces, by providing Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance, Education, Shelter, Food & Livelihoods, Camp Management, Protection and Emergency programmes. For the past 2 years the NRC Afghanistan programme has grown exponentially. We have a dedicated team of over 1200 staff, in 5 areas offices and 8 field offices, our operations are spread across Afghanistan reaching highly volatile environments with life-saving assistance and protection. NRC has been a champion for principled humanitarian action and reaching affected people in hard-to-reach areas.
NRC Protection Programme Unit is a new and growing programme. With over $3.3 million in our portfolio, the NRC Protection Unit is in year 2 of a four-year grant to implement Protection of Civilians programming in a cumulative of 8 provinces in Afghanistan. In year 2, NRC will be working through a Community Based Protection approach to protection risk reduction and violence mitigation programming in four provinces. All of our programming includes complementary work with national-level advocacy, protection information management and protection data analysis.
ABOUT THE POSITION
- The Protection Project Manager (PPM) will be responsible to oversee the quality implementation of NRC’s Protection of Civilians (PoC) projects in two of Afghanistan’s field offices, Kunduz and Mazar, both under the North Area Office. The PM will oversee the implementation of the PoC project including supporting the creation of tools and frameworks for NRCs community-based protection programme in Kunduz and Mazar.as well having as a strong element of capacity building to the protection staff.
- The Protection Project Manager will report to the Area Programme Manager- North.
- Develop quality systems and tools for the PoC Protection project to ensure the effective collection and analysis of qualitative and quantitative data.
- Provides technical guidance to national staff and partners, on confidential and safe data collection in line with internationally recognized best practices.
- Establish and maintain effective and safe referral pathways for protection concerns and other vulnerable cases between the protection programme, other internal NRC programmes and external partners, and ensure development and maintenance of SOPs for referrals.
- Assist in the development of curriculum, assessments and training materials for the Protection of Civilians programme and community-based protection programming.
- Analyse protection data to produce succinct, analytical protection reports, to be shared with both external and internal stakeholders.
- Advice on protection trends to inform national and sub-national advocacy
- Develops and maintains effective coordination and long-term relationships with main stakeholders INGOs (IRC, HI, DRC…), UN agencies (UNFPA, UNICEF, UNHCR…); representing NRC positions at the province level, promoting long-term strategy and resolving problems/conflicts.
- Line management of the protection team (Protection Officers, Assistants)
- Compliance and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to the development of Country, Area and protection strategies, initiate and participate in the development of relevant protection projects
- Coordinate and manage protection project implementation (activities, budget and project documentation) in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements
- Implement technical direction and ensure high technical quality of projects
- Ensure that projects target communities and beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Ensure compliance with contractual commitments and extracting and implementing key learning from project implementation
- Ensure capacity building of all protection staff on protection and Protection of Civilians
WE ARE LOOKING FOR YOU IF YOU HAVE:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience from a senior level project implementation position in a protection programme
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts in a humanitarian context (preferably, L3 emergencies)
- Strong background with budgets and reporting, including M&E (Essential)
- Past experience with implement CBP (Community Based Protection) programming (Essential)
- Knowledge/ Experience in implementing the Protection of Civilians programming (Essential)
- Strong background in capacity building (essential)
- Strong experience in protection monitoring and referral systems set-up and follow-up
- Experience in external coordination
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile