The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation
The Protection Specialist provides technical support to DRC Jordan field teams, with a focus on individual protection assistance (which includes emergency cash assistance), case management and community-based protection.
About the job
The individual will report directly to Protection Manager. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Technical Oversight of Protection Activities.
- Technical assistance to protection field teams working on individual protection assistance and case management; this will involve technical oversight of cases, including reviewing cases recommended for cash assistance;
- Capacity building for protection staff working on Individual protection assistance (IPA) and case management, through trainings, mentoring and shadow visits;
- Technical assistance to protection officers overseeing three community-based protection committees; this will include developing and implementing a capacity building plan for staff and committee members, and reviewing proposed community events;
- Provision of awareness-raising activities on protection topics, as required;
- Other tasks, as requested by the Protection Manager.
Monitoring, Reporting and Development
- Monitoring of case documentation to ensure high quality reporting;
- Contributions to donor and management reports;
- Development of monitoring tools for the assessing the quality of protection activities, in collaboration with the Protection and M&E Managers.
External coordination and representation: Participate in relevant coordination meetings, as agreed with the Protection Manager.
About you: To be successful in this role we expect you to have a minimum 5 years of experience working for an INGO in the protection sector, including case management experience
Moreover, we also expect the following:
Required / Desirable
- Degree in Social Work or another relevant social science; Masters would be an advantage.
- Experience working in an advisory role would be an advantage.
- Experience providing training on protection topics
- Experience working with national partners, local/government authorities, and UN organisations
- Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Full professional proficiency in English and Arabic
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.