Overall purpose of the role
- Supports delivery of organisation's policies and programmes within protection sector and mainstreaming of protection across all sectors.
- Functions as a specialist within sector area.
- Sector responsibilities: Advocacy for the rights of displaced people in their context of displacement, child protection initiatives, individual protection assistance based on vulnerability, legal aid, land & property rights, sexual and gender-based violence prevention, registration services for the internally displaced and refugees, monitoring of rights and rights awareness-raising, facilitation of return and repatriation processes.
Geographic scope: Country
This role has a country focus and supports compliance with DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support to the Protection Coordinator and technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities.
Coordination and representation
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on issues related to relevant sector;
- Represent DRC at relevant coordination meetings;
- Support integration of protection activities with other DRC sectors;
- Support good representation and reputation of the DRC protection programme in external meetings in line with organisational values and priorities;
- Actively participate in internal coordination meetings;
- Support and participate in regular sector meetings.
General Programming & Operations
- Contribute to the daily operation with comprehensive knowledge in area of protection;
- Provide technical guidance and support to Area Office protection teams;
- Support sector needs assessments;
- Support efficient and effective programme implementation while following the budget and work plan;
- Support the development and technical review of protection project tools;
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/reports and proposals and budgets for donors;
- Assist the Protection Coordinator with other tasks as necessary.
- Assist in developing project plans and budgets for funding;
- Assist in developing multi-sectoral interventions with a strong protection component;
- Assist in developing the projects’ Monitoring & Evaluation tools;
- Assist in project implementation and reporting;
- Support preparation of weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports to relevant authorities as per need.
Required experience and technical competencies
- Minimum 5 years of practical experience in protection sector working for an INGO;
- Documented skills in project planning and design, drafting, calculation and technical writing;
- Excellent skills in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Experience in project development;
- Experience working with national partners, local/government authorities, and UN organisations;
- Experience working directly with displaced populations;
- Full professional proficiency in English.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’ core competencies:
Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC's vision and values.