Protection Team Leader
Danish Refugee Council, Tel Afar, Iraq
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
Overall purpose of the role:
- Under the supervision of the Protection Project Manager, the Protection Team Leader will ensure the effective implementation of DRC’s protection services in the assigned area of operation. This includes Case Management and Community Based Protection teams. The Team Leader is responsible for ensuring excellent organization and coordination of the protection activities under his/her supervision implemented by DRC Staff and Outreach workers. He/She will provide technical and organizational support of Protection Officers who will supervise CBP and CM Protection staff through daily guidance, coordination, capacity-building, follow-up, monitoring and reporting.
- Under the supervision of the Protection Project Manager, line manage the Protection Officers delivering Legal, Case Management, and Community Based Protection services, with overall responsibility for Protection Assistants and Community Volunteers in area of operation.
- Ensure the quality delivery of protection monitoring activities, including field assessments, coordination with partners and referrals, and the capacity building activities, including service provider trainings, community groups establishment, etc.
- Maintain oversight and management of Community Based Protection activities, including the implementation of all recreational, PSS, informal education and life skills activities for children, youth and adults in all of DRC’s Safe Spaces and through mobile teams.
- Ensure high quality activities’ implementation in accordance with donor and DRC regulations.
- In collaboration with the Protection Project Manager, the Team Leader will support with project planning including work plans, procurement and budget management for the activities under his/her supervisions.
- Maintain oversight of physical DRC protection spaces.
- In collaboration with their supervisor, provide technical support, supervision and guidance to the protection team, and ensure that staff adhere to best-practices and professional standards and principles through capacity-building and on-the-job coaching.
- Identify technical gaps in the activities and identify/implement solutions to address these gaps.
- Where needed, provide technical review and support to Case Management teams, in collaboration with the Protection Project Manager.
- Support the Protection Officers with and capacity building, and community-based protection staff recruitment and fully oversee community outreach workers , orient new staff to DRC and the Protection program; in addition to day to day management and supervision of the protection team under his/her supervision.
- Oversee the work and monitor the quality of services conducted by Legal and Case Management teams.
- Ensure that staff implement and respect best-practice and international standards in protection and child protection.
- Build the capacity of the Protection Officers to improve their range of capabilities related to the protection program and its activities.
- Monitor staff working hours, complete performance review with staff, ensure respect of DRC Code of Conduct.
Grant Implementation and Reporting:
- Support the Protection Project Manager by contributing to and providing field-related inputs for protection proposals;
- Ensure the implementation of protection activities under his/her supervision, including appropriate and timely spending plans for activities to achieve program goals, grants reporting contributions, target tracking, procurement, use and distribution of supplies and resources.
Coordination and representation
- Develop and maintain effective working relationship with relevant stakeholders including partner agencies, community leaders and service providers
- Advocate for the needs of vulnerable individuals both internally and through coordination mechanisms through evidence-based advocacy
- Maintain an up-to-date service mapping of the service providers operating in the area and ensure that case management assistants are informed about the available services
Monitoring & Evaluation:
- Oversee and ensure achievements of targets of activities according to DRC and donors’ requirements through management of the protection activities under his/her supervision.
- Ensure respect of DRC Code of Conduct
- Participate in training and coaching as required on case management process, the relevant SOPs and the data filing and storing procedures.
- Any other duties relating to the nature of the job as directed by the Protection Project Manager.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Experience in management of a team with proven leadership qualities;
- Relevant professional experience of not less than 2 (two) years;
- Familiarity/prior experience with DRC and its persons of concern (including internally displaced persons, returnees, refugees) would be a distinct advantage; excellent knowledge and understanding of local communities and customary rules;
- Full respect for client/organization confidentiality;
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and respect for people with special needs and other vulnerability;
- Ability to work in a multicultural context as a flexible and respectful team player;
- Excellent writing, reporting, and analytical skills;
- Familiarity with international protection and human rights legal standards, with special emphasis on women rights and SGBV, would be a distinct advantage;
- Excellent organizational and planning skills as well as communication and inter-personal skills;
- Punctuality and respect for applicable rules and procedures;
- Independent work, i.e. with minimal supervision and under pressure;
- Self-motivation, goal/result-orientation and team work;
- Flexibility, creativeness, tolerance and maturity;
- Computer/IT literacy (OS Windows/Vista/Linux, MS (Word, Excel in particular) Internet etc.)
- Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- University degree in management, social sciences or similar field.
- Desirable qualifications:
- Advanced University degree.
- Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Fluency in Arabic is required
- Ability to communicate and write clearly in English is essential
- Band: F- Management
- Designation of Duty Station: Tel Afar
- Start date: As soon as possible.