The position is located in the FAO offices in Quetta and Peshawar. The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Pakistan and in close coordination with Assistant FAOR, the incumbent will directly be supervised by Chief Technical Advisor / Chief of Party THAzA and Deputy Chief of Party THAzA (The Horticultural Advancement Activity.
Oversight by FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (RAP) and technical guidance by the relevant units in FAO Headquarters and/or RAP.
The FAO Provincial Coordinator will be responsible for day-to-day management of all THAzA project activities in the province and he / she will lead the provincial team, in close coordination with other implementing partner organizations. He / she will have both technical and operational responsibilities to ensure smooth implementation of THAzA project.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Supervise work of staff in the Districts / clusters in terms of work planning, implementation, logistics, HR, attendance and other Management related tasks.
- Lead the Agribusiness and supply chain facilitators and other field based staff in collecting and preparing background information on Value Chains, markets (including SWOT, Constraints, Needs and Gap analysis), collecting, organizing and analysing market intelligence and market partners and Agribusiness and Market Development opportunities.
- Identify market, agribusiness and value chain business opportunities and impediments.
- Prepare district / cluster work plans based on economic viable value chains and agribusiness and customized to the specific circumstances of Balochistan
- Facilitate farmer (groups), traders and other supply chain actors to successfully market their products, in close collaboration with the FAO Agribusiness and Supply Chain team & GoB staff and supervise the facilitation and implementation of activities at field and value chain level.
- Work closely with the project FMCs and CO’s to produce value chain and agri business plans that are likely to result into positive income growth.
- Screen and analyse ongoing and completed agribusiness and value chains pilot projects for opportunities for up scaling, extension & dissemination.
- Coordinate field activities with the Women Economic Empowerment (gender) specialist and Subject Matter Experts (Horticultural expert and value chain private sector expert).
- Provide appropriate field guidance and local knowledge support to Project Management and other consultants.
- Perform any other duties assigned by Project Management within their area of technical competence
- Submit periodic reports as required by project management.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in (agri)business, agronomy, marketing or equivalent level and background.
- At least 5 years’ experience within agricultural, livestock or horticultural sector, especially marketing aspects, with the private sector.
- Working knowledge (Level C) of English. Good knowledge of Urdu, Balochi and Pashtu;
- National of Pakistan
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Remain open to change and ability to manage complexity.
- Ability to work and act under pressure and with discretion in multicultural environment.
- Ability to deal with stakeholders from a broad range of backgrounds.
- Demonstrate capacity to plan, prioritize and deliver tasks on time to meet goals in a high-pressure environment.
- Maturity and confidence in dealing with high-ranking official of government institutions, international institutions and non- government institutions.
- Familiar with FAO procedures, possess strong supervisory, communication, team building and computing skills (word processing, spreadsheets and data-bases).