Public Awareness and Outreach Strategy Implementation Specialist
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Colombo, Sri Lanka
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
The government of Sri Lanka, through the 4-year project, “Implementation of the National Biosafety Framework in accordance with the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety”, which is funded by the Global Environment Facility (GEF), is strengthening the country’s institutional and human capacities for the implementation of the National Biosafety Framework (NBF) and hence the safe handling of living modified organisms (LMOs) or genetically modified organisms (GMOs). The National Executing Agency of the project is the Ministry of Mahaweli Development and Environment (MoMD&E) while the Food and Agriculture Organization of United Nations (FAO) is the GEF and Implementing Agency.
The Public Awareness and Outreach Strategy Implementation Officer will contribute to the implementation of this project.
The National incumbent will work under the overall supervision of the Assistant FAO Representative (Program) and technical guidance of the Lead Technical Officer and relevant FAO Technical Officers. He/she will work closely with the international consultant for public participation and outreach strategy development and the staff of the Project Management Unit.
Technical Focus: Implement public awareness and outreach strategy
Tasks and responsibilities
- Collect and compile all relevant documentation and facilitate logistical support such as arranging meetings and discussions with relevant government departments, non-governmental organizations and other national and international organizations in support of the assignment of International Consultant on Strategy for Public Participation and Outreach
- Work closely with the International Consultant on Strategy for Public Participation and Outreach in designing awareness programmes for based on the report “Level of understanding of biosafety and regulations related to biosafety among different stakeholder groups”
- Develop an Action Plan to conduct awareness and outreach activities
- Assist the International Consultant on Strategy for Public Participation and Outreach and Specialist for preparation of outreach material for print and audio visual media with assistance for strategic designing of outreach materials on biosafety
- Organize and coordinate all awareness programmes conducted by the project in relation of Public awareness and outreach strategy. This includes preparation of the outcome document after every awareness training program
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders to develop and implement the biosafety database
- University degree in communication, education or related disciplines
- At least 2 years of experience in coordinating awareness campaigns or conducting awareness activities
- Working knowledge of English
- A national of Sri Lanka
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvemen