United Nations Secretariat, Vienna, Austria
Closing Date for Applications:
The internship is located in the Outreach Unit, United Nations Information Service (UNIS), United Nations Office at Vienna (Austria).
Given the current situation due to COVID-19, selected interns may have to start working remotely from their country of nationality/residence subject to travel restrictions in effect both in their home country and Austria as well as availability of affordable air or surface transportation as applicable.
The internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week (40 hours) under the direct supervision of Professional staff of the Unit.
For more information on UNIS, please visit the following website: www.unis.unvienna.org
- The intern shall undertake the following duties which may include, but are not limited to:
- Prepares project outlines and supports the Unit in its everyday activities
- Assists in the organization of events, film screenings, exhibitions, campaigns
- Prepares written material, exhibitions, etc.
- Establishes contacts with NGOs, IGOs, Civil Society, academics
- Performs other tasks as necessary.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
- Applicants must meet one of the following requirements: (a) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); (b) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or (c) have graduated with a university degree (as defined above). OFFICIAL PROOF FROM THE UNIVERSITY SUPPORTING ONE OF THE ABOVE OPTIONS HAS TO BE ATTACHED TO THE INSPIRA APPLICATION;
- Be computer literate in standard software applications
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter;
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For this Internship, fluency in oral and written English and German is required. Knowledge of a UNIS client country language (Hungarian, Slovak, Slovene) is an additional asset.
- Potential candidates will be contacted by the hiring manager for further consideration.
- A completed online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.The Cover Note must include:
- Degree Programme (What are you currently studying?)
- Graduation Date (When will you graduate or when did you graduate from the programme?)
- List the IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in
- List your top three areas of interest
- Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship
- Explain your interest in the United Nations Internship Programme.In your online Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, IT skills, and three references. Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.