This position is located in the United Nations Information Service (UNIS) Vienna (Austria), Strategic Communications Division (SCD), Department of Global Communications (DGC). The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Public Information Officer, News and Media team and under the overall guidance of the Director.
For more information on UNIS, please visit our website: www.unis.unvienna.org.
The Public Information Assistant (Multimedia) will provide high-level assistance in video editing, design and digital products to UNIS Vienna and support our social media and web platforms with audio-visual and graphic content. Within assigned authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Work closely with the Public Information Officer, provide assistance with respect to multimedia elements of UNIS Vienna products.
- Design and create multimedia products including text, graphics, videos, podcasts and infographics, for effective, high-impact storytelling across UNIS Vienna’s digital platforms, to inform and engage external audiences and support UN campaigns.
- Adapt and format digital content such as graphic design, image files editing and video editing, for use on UNIS Vienna’s website and social media platforms and adapt content for use in our client country languages (German, Hungarian, Slovak and Slovene).
- Assist with filming at UNIS events and edit video footage to produce high-quality and visually compelling videos for use on UNIS Vienna web and social media platforms; assist with filming and edit messages with senior officials. Occasionally assist with filming and edit footage for UNIFEED.
- Work closely with the Public Information Officer, design and produce quality visual material using relevant computer software, e.g. Adobe Creative Suite, Photoshop, Illustrator and In-Design, in appropriate format including but not limited to: graphic design work for web, social media and print products, infographics, GIFs, logos and branding, backdrops, flyers etc. including producing local language versions, ensuring photos and graphics are appropriate and conform to UN standards.
- Assist with the management of the UNIS Vienna website and UN Vienna Portal: preparing new pages, incorporating graphics and images as needed, posting content and updates through the web content management system for the UNIS Vienna website in English, German, Hungarian, Slovak and Slovene; checking and testing for multiple browser support; monitoring and analyzing web analytics.
- Identify issues and trends in digital media and advise on appropriate action/responses.
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned.
Professionalism: Has knowledge of internal policies, processes and procedures related to the communication, production and dissemination of public information. Has knowledge of multimedia and digital production and video editing techniques. Has knowledge of graphic design,modern content management software and web standards and ability to design web pages. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of seven years of work experience in multimedia and digital production, video production, public information, international broadcasting or related area, demonstrable in a portfolio of projects, is required.
- Experience with video-editing and post-production is required.
- Experience working in Adobe Creative Cloud products such as Photoshop, InDesign, After Effects, Premiere or equivalent is required.
- Experience with web content management systems and basic experience with CSS and HTML coding is required.
- Experience in photography is desirable.
- Work experience in the United Nations system and/or an international organization is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Fluency in oral and written German is desirable. Knowledge of another language of UNIS Vienna’s client countries (Hungarian, Slovak or Slovene) is an advantage. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.