Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and in coordination with the Regional Communications and Media Officer in the Regional Office (RO) for West and Central Africa in Dakar, and with technical guidance of Media and Communication Unit at Headquarters (HQ), the successful candidate will be responsible for supporting in the development and implementation of the public information (PI) plan to promote Niger Country Office’s (CO) initiatives and interventions. This includes supporting the formulation and implementation of creative communication strategies to increase the visibility of Niger CO’s activities and to promote an accurate narrative on migration with partners in the government, donor community, media, the UN agencies, as well as the general public.
The successful candidate will contribute towards the quality and consistency of the media and public outreach in Niger CO, including providing direct strategic communications and media support to the COM and generating the external communications content for the CO. She/he will coordinate the production of visibility materials and the development of common media messages and “Lines to Take” for the use of staff in Niger CO in coordination with I RO in Dakar and HQ, and will plan, organize and contribute to the development of public events, media campaigns and will act as a liaison Focal Point for all local/international journalists.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the formulation and implementation of a public information action plan to promote Niger CO’s key results of its interventions and programmes.
- Work with different programme teams in Niger CO and contribute to the building of an accurate narrative on migration in the public domain, including in local, regional and international media.
- Liaise with the UN, NGOs and media outlets based in Niger in the field of communications.
- In close coordination with the relevant programme staff, CoM and Regional Communications Officer in RO Dakar, draft, update and disseminate all relevant approved media content (press releases, feature stories, blogs, video and social media) produced by Niger CO, and provide editorial advice on whether they are best suited for publication on national, regional or global IOM platforms.
- Maintain a national media contact database and proactively foster relations with key media actors in Niger and outside of Niger.
- Check that messaging included in public-facing content is consistent with the strategic aims of the Organization.
- Act as media Focal Point as appropriate, by coordinating the preparation of “Media Lines to Take” for emerging issues including cross-border contexts and crisis/emergency communications.
- Undertake regular travel duties to Sub-Offices of Niger CO to support media outreach activities, gather material for multi-media projects and provide PI and media training to individuals and teams as required.
- Contribute to the promotion of the activities of Niger CO by providing timely, accurate responses to media-related enquiries in close coordination with the Regional Communications and Media Officer in RO Dakar.
- Increase the impact of Niger CO’s social media accounts, generate timely press releases of public interest while monitoring impact in the media; develop audio visual materials along with other creative communication approaches.
- Coordinate, update and monitor the impact of Niger CO’s communications via IOM’s Content Engine platform while ensuring that the CO’s website is in alignment with IOM standards and achieving its full potential as a tool of advocacy.
- Contribute towards the high quality and consistency of media and public outreach for Niger CO by building the capacity of national staff in order to provide strategic communications/media coordination and support to the CoM and Heads of Sub-Offices.
- Support and contribute to the effective liaison with the UN Country Communication and Media Group and other relevant actors, draft media messages on key migration issues, provide editorial and technical assistance to Sub-Offices in all aspects of media and communications management, and provide technical support in monitoring the media and public outreach carried out by Niger CO.
- Ensure that media content being produced for Niger CO has appropriate informed consent and follows IOM Corporate Branding Guidelines.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of awareness raising campaigns aimed at improving the public perception of migrants in Niger CO while supporting the Organization’s global awareness raising efforts.
- Keep abreast of migration-related developments and processes in the UN agencies, and contribute to the research, collection and analyzing of information on migration and related emerging issues, as well as coordinating the formulation of IOM’s related media position.
- Generate monthly newsletters for Niger CO and provide inputs to IOM’s regional and global newsletters and other communication products and support internal communication on IOM’s work, including by updating the relevant intranet sections.
- Contribute to the development of visibility materials and ensure compliance with donor specific requirements in terms of communication and visibility.
- Contribute to the inclusion of appropriate gender awareness in communications of Niger CO.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master's degree in Journalism, Media and Communications, International Relations, Development Studies, Social Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience;
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in international journalism and public information;
- Experience in community engagement and digital awareness raising;
- Experience in the production of visibility materials and graphic design;
- Experience in dealing with diverse counterparts from government and UN agencies, civil
- society and think-tank is an advantage;
- Previous experience of writing and reporting in international and crisis contexts preferably
- within the United Nations Common System and the International Humanitarian Field; and,
- Experience in working in a multi-cultural setting.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.