Radio Room Supervisor/Radio Communications Associate
United Nations Development Programme, Aden, Yemen
Closing Date for Applications:
The overall mandate of the United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) is to provide leadership, operational support and oversight of the security management system to enable the safest and most efficient conduct of the Programmes and activities of the United Nations System.
The Radio Supervisor works in close collaboration with the UNDSS Field Security Cos, UN Local Security Assistants and other UN staff members (especially Security Wardens) in providing support on telecom related issues.
Under the direct supervision of the Field Security Coordination Officer (FSCO) and with the overall guidance of the Chief Security Adviser (CSA)/ Deputy Chief Security Adviser (DSA), the Radio Room Supervisor will be responsible for the day to day administration of the 24/7 operation of the Radio Room which will serve as the UN radio room for the whole area.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervising Radio Room under Field Security Coordination Officer (FSCO), UNDSS. Manage the day-to-day duties & responsibilities of the radio operators;
- Compile SOPs for necessary radio communication procedures;
- Ensuring the establishment and maintenance of a functioning Emergency Communications System (ECS);
- Installation, maintenance and utilization of the common UN communication system, as appropriate;
- Developing, implementing and supervising a radio communication monitoring mechanism and conducting routine radio checks, as appropriate;
- Provide regular user support to UN Agencies in terms of radio programming etc;
- Maintain a central database of call signs and Sel-calls for all UN agencies operating in Yemen;
- Perform regular maintenance work as and when required in the UN interagency radio rooms;
- Provide training in the use of VHF and HF radio equipments to IA radio operators as well as UN staff in general;
- Provide computer training to allow radio operators to log incidents, produce documents, initiate correspondence and formulate shift rosters;
- Maintain physically and electronically IA inventory of Comms equipments, and other items needed for Comcens setup;
- Maintain and update database for staff information & contact list lists on regular basis and share timely necessary information with the Wardens;
- Maintain records of visits and repairs conducted at the repeater sites;
- Draft daily reports on the security situation, UN mission’s status and UN log sheet of the event in daily basis;
- Any other tasks assigned by CSA/DSA/ FSCO.
- The incumbent of the position should avoid any kind of discriminatory behavior including gender discrimination and ensure that;
- human rights and gender equality is prioritized as an ethical principle within all actions;
- activities are designed and implemented in accordance with “Social and Environmental Standards of UNDP”;
- any kind of diversities based on ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, class, gender are respected within all implementations including data production;
- differentiated needs of women and men are considered;
- inclusive approach is reflected within all actions and implementations, in that sense an enabling and accessible setup in various senses such as disability gender language barrier is create;
- necessary arrangements to provide gender parity within all committees, meetings, trainings etc. introduced.
Education & Experience:
- High school with minimum six years of progressive experience in installation, maintenance of HF, VHF and Satellite phones or any other related fields.
- Or Bachelor degree in Telecommunication engineering or any related fields with three years of progressive experience in installation, maintenance of HF, VHF and Satellite phones or any other related fields.
- Experience in the UN communication system will be highly preferable.
Language Requirements: Fluency in both English and Arabic written and spoken is required.