NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions. NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC Somalia is part of NRC’s East Africa and Yemen regional operation which comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across seven countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Yemen, Eritrea, South Sudan, Uganda and Tanzania). NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to enhance protection and promote the rights of displaced people in humanitarian need by improving living conditions and seeking durable solutions. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardization of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
The purpose of the Finance Officer position is day to day implementation of the Finance functions responsibilities
Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply
Duties and responsibilities
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Implement delegated Finance function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the finance function
- Participate in the consortium project budgets preparations.
- Ensure that in coordination with the relevant project staff, that project / program expenses for the CMU are incurred consistent with grant agreements and grant budgets.
- Verify supporting documents to ensure completeness before payment request.
- Ensure accurate reporting format from all NRC’s Implementing Partners
- Support Prepare all necessary information for internal or external audits.
- Follow up and secure signed timesheets for all CMU staff.
- Monitor spending for all CMU project budgets and update monthly.
- Provide charging Code to CMU and CO team
- Monitor and provide CO with payroll charges for all CMU national staff.
- Maintain the filling system (online / physical) for all financial and accounting documents for CMU.
- Prepare periodic CMU financial reports and submit for review
- Support the FC/FM in undertaking periodic compliance checks and training of member’s consortium staff.
- Any other duty assigned by the supervisor
- Bachelor’s Degree in either Business Administration, Commerce, Finance or Accounting Certified Public Accountant
- Minimum of 3 years’ relevant experience
- Experience from working as a Support Function Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities•
- Knowledge of English AND Somali is a must
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Attention to detail
- Good knowledge of financial reporting systems
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to work well with people from diverse cultures and communicate effectively.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Well Organized
- Good Computer Skills
Behavioral competencies these are personal qualities or characteristics that influence how successful people are in their job. The below are required for this position:
- Handling insecure environments
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development