UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply. Our workplace policies promote flexible work arrangements, to support all staff in maintaining a healthy life balance, both in and out of the office.
We are the first United Nations agency to be awarded the EDGE certification – the leading global standard for gender equality in the workplace.
UNICEF prides itself on fostering a multicultural and harmonious work environment, guaranteed by a zero-tolerance policy on sexual exploitation and abuse, and on any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment and discrimination. All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
For every child, a fair chance:
The HR Manager, within their area of responsibility, is accountable for implementing HR services that enhance the capacity of their clients to deliver on their business goals and objectives. In doing so, the incumbent demonstrates the ability to anticipate HR-related needs and develop subsequent plans and solutions that align HR management with business objectives.
How can you make a difference?
Management of Unit:
- Support the Chief of Section in establishing the annual work plan, setting priorities/targets and performance measurements.
- Monitor work progress and ensure results are achieved according to schedule and performance standards.
- Establish clear individual performance objectives, goals and timelines; and provide timely guidance to enable the team to perform their duties responsibly and efficiently.
Technical HR Leadership:
- Provide technical leadership in one or more HR specialty areas with responsibility for reviewing the work of other Professional and General Service staff for compliance with principles and concepts, policies, regulations and rules as well as for soundness of judgement and conclusions.
- Develop, implement and monitor the interpretation and application of new human resources policies, practices and procedures in area of specialization to meet the evolving needs of the organization including formulating the position of the organization on policies in area of HR specialization and determining the appropriate application of rules and regulations to highly sensitive or contentious individual cases having implications for other HR systems and UNICEF as a whole.
- Serve as the single point of contact for his/her client portfolio on advice pertaining to all aspects of the employment life cycle
- Work with clients to help fulfill their goals through advising on how to attract, retain and motivate staff of the highest caliber.
- Provide accurate and timely advice to clients on HR processes and policies, ensuring the highest level of client-orientation.
- Proactively advise clients on the resolution of human resources issues ensuring equitable and transparent solutions that protects both the staff and organizations interests in accordance with policies, regulations and procedures.T
- Promote the organizational goals and targets for gender equity and cultural diversity.
Strategic Human Resources:
- Liaise with the HQ Divisions, regional and country offices to support and contribute to corporate HR strategy formulation and global implementation. Provide feedback and make recommendations on the establishment and improvement of HR systems, policies and processes.
- Keep abreast, research, benchmark, and implement best and cutting edge practices in HR management and contribute to the development of global policies, procedures and introduce innovation through sharing of best practices and knowledge learned.
- Responsible for strategic human resources forecasting for his/her clients including identifying future human resource requirements in terms of numbers, types and levels of staff, and identifying emerging trends in profile requirements.Provide support to various or one specific HR occupation (recruitment, job classification, career development, performance management, data analytics, learning & development etc.) to help their supervisors in implementing efficient client services that help either attract, retain and/or motivate staff of the highest caliber.
- Helps design optimal organizational, staffing structures and levels, and, in consultation with senior management develops standards and benchmarks staffing norms.
Implementation of Assigned Human Resources Services:
When assigned casework in the relevant area on either a routine or non-routine basis, analyze and synthesize issues and problems, and interpret established, formal guidelines to address and recommend solutions or further actions required.
Learning and Capacity Development:
- In collaboration with business owners, design and deliver learning plans for staff to enhance their knowledge and build skills in new areas.
- Contributes to the mapping of competencies for all staff in assigned client portfolio, assisting in the development of a comprehensive framework in support of the development of the talent pipeline.
- Recommend efficient and cost-effective learning products which strengthen staff capacity to contribute effectively to business goals.
- Participate as a resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
- Provide orientation briefings to new staff.
- Provide day-to-day performance and talent management guidance to line management (e.g., coaching, counseling, career development, career conversations, and disciplinary actions)
HR Data Analytics:
- Interpret and analyze HR data to help inform strategic decision making on HR processes and strategies.
- Develop data collection systems to optimize data quality.
- Coordinate with country offices and partners to provide assistance in their HR information management.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- An Advanced University Degree in human resource management, business management, international relations, psychology or another related field is required.
- 8 years of professional experience in human resource management in an international organization and/or large corporation is required.
- Developing country work experience, background/famiTliarity with emergency is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or local language of the duty station is considered as an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate: UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication (II), Working with People (III) and Drive for Results (II).
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Leading and supervising (II)
- Formulating strategies/concepts (II)
- Analyzing (II)
- Applying Technical Expertise (II)
- Planning and Organizing (II)