Readvertised - Area Manager
Norwegian Refugee Council, Ouagadougou, Niger
Closing Date for Applications:
An unprecedented humanitarian emergency is unfolding in Burkina Faso where armed violence and insecurity have triggered massive population displacement and worsened the living conditions of some of the country’s most vulnerable communities. Since September 2018, there has been a dramatic increase in militant attacks in Burkina Faso, now affecting 11 of the 13 regions. Where previously there were about seven attacks per month, between September 2018 and February 2019, militants conducted an average of 34 attacks per month and, in February and April 2019, the number of incidents attributed to Islamic Radical Groups in Burkina Faso have overtaken those in Mali. Most have been registered in Sahel, Est, Nord and Boucle du Mouhoun regions, but these trends continue to spread toward the west and south. The escalation of conflict has brought Burkina Faso to be the country most affected by the upsurge of violence in 2019, with over 123,000 people displaced from January 2019 and a total of 170,000 from the beginning of the crisis. NRC conducted a scoping mission in May 2019 and is setting up a Country Office from July 2019.
Duties and responsibilities
- The purpose of the Area Manager position is to ensure high quality and cost-effective programme/project implementation within the designated geographical area.
- Burkina is in a start-up phase in conjunction with the Niger Country office, and will be managed by one Country Director. The Area Office will be in Kaya, however the AM will be required to travel frequently to Ouagadougou for coordination with the country support office. The CD will be based in Ouagadougou, but will travel to Niamey regularly, at which time the AM or another CMG (HoP) may be required to provide CD cover.
- Line management for senior project staff and support functions (and Field Office Coordinators) in the area
- Member of the Country Management Group (CMG)
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Provide area specific input on CC strategies, Country Strategy and Plan of Action
- Organize grants opening and closure meetings
- Implementation of projects (including master support budget and coordinating input for donor proposals and reports) in the area, in compliance with contractual commitments (i.e. quality, synergies, timeliness, use of resources).
- Assess needs, develop emergency response and implement response plans
- Ensure optimal use of resources within the allocated project budgets and CC strategies
- Represent NRC and networking on area level
- Ensure that capacity building is provided to all staff in the area
- Ensure overall security and safety of staff in the area
- Minimum 3 years of experience from working as a Senior Manager in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in French and in English, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of the context in the Sahel region of West Africa
- Experience with start-up, exit or similar
- Handling insecure environments
- Strategic thinking
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Managing resources to optimise results
- All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
We can offer
- Duty station: Kaya
- Travel: Regular field visits/field based
- Duration and type of contract: 12 months fixed term
- Salary/benefit: According to NRC's general directions
- Grade 10 - see attached NRC grade structure
- Approved healt certificate will be requested before contract start