The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
In mid-April 2016, NRC conducted a pre-assessment mission in the refugee camps in north western Tanzania and the assessment revealed that the humanitarian situation for the refugees requires urgent intervention and NRC therefore decided to establish an operational office in Kibondo town, to respond in Mtendeli and/or Nduta refugee camps. The initial interventions will focus in three sectors; shelter, WASH and education (initially construction of permanent classrooms).
Email and paper applications will not be considered.
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
The purpose of the Reception Centre Assistant position is to assist in the day to day activities of supporting new arrivals and asylum seekers at the reception Centre
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper recording and filing of reception centre documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Assess, promote and document ideas for improvement of living conditions at the Reception Centre
- Attend to and address concerns of the new arrivals residing at the reception Centre.
- Facilitate provision of Humanitarian Services to refugee persons residing at the reception centre
- Ensure the timely and appropriate allocation of space within reception Centre/ and or family shelter.
- Carry out day to day assessments of facilities including shelters constructed at the reception centre and communicate maintenance needs to the management
- Document, maintain and record data of new arrivals residing at the reception centre
- Provide regular reports to the Reception Centre Officer and capturing of new arrivals data
- Collaborate with relevant key stakeholders within the Reception Centre
- Contribute to the development of improvement of processes
- Ensure that activities target beneficiaries most in need of protection and assistance
- Represent NRC in meetings whenever required
- Organize and plan for provision of hot meals to new arrivals
- 2 years relevant experience from a humanitarian/recovery context
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of French or Kirundi is a strong advantage
- Be able to use a wide variety of software, Microsoft Office is an advantage
- Experience in capacity building and training of target groups
- Political and cultural awareness
- Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
Education field: Social science
Education level: College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Handling insecure environment