Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Purpose of the Post:
- Support Member States of Eastern Mediterranean Region to improve access to quality Health Professions Education (HPE) by strengthening educational institutions and programmes that are able to produce the Human Resources for Health (HRH) which meet the health needs of populations and health services.
- The incumbent will work as a member of the Health Workforce Development (HWD) team under the guidance of the HWD Coordinator and the supervision of the director of Health System Development (HSD).
- She/he will provide advice to Member States and take responsibility for the follow up of the unit activities in the following three areas of work: (i) education capacity development of HRH educational institutions and programs in the region; (ii) manage the regional fellowships program and advise member states on fellowships; (iii) promote establishment, designation, support and networking of medical and health professionals' education development centres and related WHO Collaborating Centres in the Region.
Summary of Assigned Duties:
Under the general guidance of the HWD Coordinator and direct supervision of the Director of HSD, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
1. Health Personnel Education:
- Advises and supports the Member States on educational aspects of HRH and health system and services development.
- In collaboration with HWD Coordinator and the Regional Adviser of Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health (RA/NMA), promotes the idea of community-oriented education in medical, nursing and allied health personnel training.
- Advises and supports Member States in establishing and developing health professions education programmes to prepare teachers for the medical and health professionals' education and training.
- Advises and supports Member States on strengthening undergraduate and postgraduate medical education.
2. Educational Development Centres:
- Advises and supports the Member States on establishment, promotion and networking of educational development centres in the countries of the region in support of health professions' education.
- Promotes the role of educational development centres in curriculum development, teacher training, continuing education, and research that address health personnel priority needs.
- Supports education development centres to become qualified as WHO Collaborating Centres.
- Strengthens the exchange of experiences between educational development centres and different countries on educational development matters and promote networking of collaborating and non-collaborating centres in the region.
- Develops and produces project proposals for submission to external donors for extra-budgetary funds for promoting educational development centres, fellowship programmes and production of teaching/learning materials.
- Supports the establishment of a network of academic institutions across the region in the area of health system strengthening.
3. Fellowship Programme:
- Identifies and advises the Regional Director on the direction of the fellowship programme for Member States to ensure the development of appropriate health personnel.
- Manages and supervises the functioning of the Fellowship Unit including review, selection, placement, and evaluation of fellows in appropriate study programmes within and outside the Region.
- Advises the divisions and programmes on policy matters, technical and managerial aspects of the Regional Fellowship and related programmes in support of development of relevant HRH in the Region.
- Coordinates, promotes and involves the WHO Collaborating Centres and the National Centres of excellence on HRH to further strengthen the appropriateness of WHO's Regional Fellowship Programme.
- Reviews and prepares periodic analytical reports on the implementation and appropriate utilization of Regional Fellowship programmes in contributing to national HRH priorities for use at country, regional and HQ levels.
- Essential: University degree in Medicine or any health related field and postgraduate degree in Medical Education or other medical specialties.
- Desirable: Doctorate Degree or equivalent in Medical Education or related areas.
- WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an accredited institution.
Functional Skills and Knowledge:
- In depth knowledge of public health and health professions education
- Knowledge of innovative approaches in health professions education
- Knowledge and skills in areas related to educational development, ability to work harmoniously as a member of a team and maintain a high standard of personal conduct.
- Proficiency in MS Office and data management software.
- Essential: At least 10 years of combined experience at national and international levels in the field of medical and health professionals' education.
- Desirable: - Experience in leading medical and health professional positions.
- Experience in Human Resources Development and health system strengthening.
- Experience in management of medical education and health professional institutions.
- Excellent knowledge of English.
- Knowledge of Arabic and/or French is an asset.