Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Purpose of the Post:
- To promote and advance the development of primary and community health care (PHC), based on the values and principles of primary health care that contribute to better health outcomes and move towards universal health coverage in countries of the Eastern Mediterranean Region (EMR).
- Under the supervision of the Coordinator Integrated Service Delivery, the incumbent will serve as Regional Adviser to the Director Health System Development and Regional Director on activities in the area of Primary and Community Health Care.
- She/he will coordinate strengthening service provision through family practice approach, as well as alternative health care delivery approaches through community health workers, outreach teams and home health care to promote access to essential package of health services, enhance community engagement for health development and to assist Member States to move towards universal health coverage.
Summary of Assigned Duties:
- Develop and regularly update the regional strategy for people-centred and integrated service delivery that reinforces promotion and the inclusion of universal health coverage in the national health policies and plans
- Catalyse the support to Member States in developing Country specific models of rural and urban primary care and ensure accessible, equitable, efficient and quality health services that are responsive to the leading causes of the burden of disease and health risks and help countries to implement the relevant national action plan.
- Strengthen Member States capacity for implementation of family practice programme, coordinate development of training and advocacy materials for regional and country capacity building and advocacy activities and use of the community health workers and outreach team or combination of these and other approaches such as strategic purchasing of health services that influence provider performance in line with existing socioeconomic and health system infrastructure of three groups of the countries in EMR.
- Collaborate with member states on assessment of private sector and strengthening public and private partnership for moving towards universal health coverage addressing service delivery component.
- Advise EMR national authorities to develop, strengthen and extend primary health care coverage based on evidence based approaches and development of integrated district health systems.
- Collect, analyse and disseminate good practices on delivery of primary health care and come out with biannual progress report on service provision and also develop policy papers for informed decision making processes.
- Contribute in identifying strategies and actions to overcome shortage of family medicine specialist and improving performance of general practitioners and other primary health care workers.
- Coordinate and promote empowering communities and NGOs to play a leading role in health development and tackle challenges due to urbanization.
- Coordinate with other departments and promote integration of priority health programs in PHC e.g: NCDs, emergency preparedness and response, pandemic diseases, etc
- Mobilize resources and promote partnership by engaging with multilateral and bilateral donors, national governments and other development partners including sister UN agencies and joint advocacy and actions to promote access to primary and community health care.
- Strengthen Member States' capacity by promoting intersectoral collaboration, partnership with the private sector, civic organizations, local authorities and academic institutions.
- Essential: University degree in Medicine and Master's Degree in Public Health.
- Desirable: Doctorate degree or equivalent in public health.
- WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an accredited institution.
Functional Skills and Knowledge:
- In-depth knowledge of international public health issues and health care delivery systems.
- High level of technical and managerial competence for planning, direction and evaluation of primary health care and community development and field experience on PHC.
- Thorough knowledge of WHO rules and regulations, policies and programmes.
- Ability to coordinate and motivate staff of various backgrounds.
- Sound professional judgement.
- Knowledge and skills in the formulation of technical cooperation interventions and in the development and use of criteria for evaluating service delivery
Other Skills: Proficiency in MS Office.
- Essential: Over 10 years of combined experience at national and international level in service provision and health system strengthening and the development and implementation of PHC services with at least 5 years field experience.
- Desirable: Extensive experience in strengthening primary health care programmes and community development such as working with or advising MOH and/or government/high level officials providing technical assistance in the field of primary health care settings.
- Excellent knowledge of English.
- Knowledge of another WHO language will be an asset.