Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Position Title: Regional Advisor, Business Development, Europe, Middle East, and Central Asia region
Location: Cairo, Egypt or Home of record, with frequent travel within the EMECA region
Reports To: Deputy Regional Director for Program Quality
Estimated Length of Service: 3-4 years
About CRS: Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
Background: The Europe, Middle East, and Central Asia region (EMECA) covers Afghanistan, Bosnia and Hercegovina, Egypt, Iraq, Jerusalem/West Bank/Gaza, Lebanon, Pakistan, Turkey, and several outreach countries including Ukraine, Jordan, Serbia and Syria. Primary programming sectors in EMECA are emergency response and recovery, agricultural livelihoods, education, peacebuilding, and urban/peri-urban livelihoods. To help acquire the funding necessary to meet needs in the countries we serve, EMECA is seeking a Regional Business Development Advisor to support country programs in prepositioning and competing for strategic opportunities, developing excellent proposals, and leveraging results across the region and agency wide. This BD position is a member of both the regional Program Quality team and global Institutional Donor Engagement and Advancement (IDEA) community. He/she will be responsible for assisting Country Program identify, prepare for and respond to strategic funding opportunities from a variety of donors. Working closely with the Deputy Regional Director for Program Quality (DRD/PQ), other regional staff, Heads of Programming, Country Representatives, and the headquarter-based IDEA Department, the BD Advisor will be responsible for supporting regional and country efforts to develop competitive, evidence-based projects and proposals; strengthening capacity in business development throughout the region; and helping country programs research current/potential donors and opportunities and growing strategically.
Identify Funding Opportunities, Support Prepositioning:
• Advise and support EMECA Country Programs in identifying relevant upcoming funding opportunities, developing capture planning / prepositioning plans and making strategic go/no go decisions, in collaboration with regional colleagues and HQ/IDEA department.
• Advise Country Programs on non-traditional donors. In collaboration with BD colleagues in IDEA and/or other regions, investigate/keep abreast of donor strategic priorities, specific templates and requirements and other information relevant for proposal development.
• Collaborate with relevant Heads of Programming, Regional Technical Advisors and others to maintain up-to-date capacity statements and past performance references across all of EMECA’s key programming sectors. Collaborate with IDEA to ensure that global past performance and corporate capacity information is incorporated into global sector-based capacity statements and past performance records.
Support Proposal Design/Development:
• Review Country Program Project Idea Notes (PIN) for competitiveness.
• Advise Country Programs as they negotiate teaming agreements with potential partners.
• Advise and support Country Programs in planning and managing proposal processes in line with CRS’ Technical/Cost Application Guidance (TAG/CAG), ProPack I, and the EMECA Proposal Development and Review Guidance (pREPARE).
• Provide remote or in-country support to Country programs with proposal writing, packaging, and editing, as needed and appropriate.
• In collaboration with the DRD/PQ, coordinate and contribute to regional concept note and proposal review processes in line with pREPARE, including timely and quality consolidation of reviewers’ feedback as required.
• Collaborate with DRD/MQ and RFO in reviewing Cost Applications/budgets and budget notes components of proposal submissions, for alignment with the Technical Application and compliance with CAG and with specific donor requirements.
Build BD Capacity of Country Program Staff
• Implement the EMECA Resource Mobilization Action Plan in close coordination with the DRD/PQ, updating it as necessary from year to year.
• Support Country Programs in developing country-level Resource Mobilization Action Plans as requested.
• Build the capacity of regional and Country Program staff (and partners when appropriate) in donor intel and prepositioning and in proposal development, including orientation to and supporting use of Cost/Technical Application Guidance, ProPack I, BD101, pREPARE and other relevant tools. Facilitate or co-facilitate relevant trainings for staff and reinforce good practice by role modeling, mentoring, coaching and advising staff on the job.
• Identify and disseminate relevant internal and external training and learning opportunities.
• Promote and support Country Programs to conduct internal After-Action Reviews of project design and proposal development processes and pursue debriefs from donors on their funding decisions, in order to capture and document lessons learned and continually improve proposal development processes.
Agency-wide Knowledge Management and Learning
• Represent the region at the agency’s annual BD summit. Participate in agency-wide BD community learning and knowledge management by sharing experience and lessons learned virtually. Contribute BD topics to the EMECA PQ updates as a way to share relevant regional results and lessons agency-wide.
• Liaise with IDEA to ensure that relevant information relating to strategic growth is disseminated to Country Programs and Regional Technical Advisors and appropriate follow-up is carried out.
• Work with EMECA Country Programs to ensure that the opportunity pipeline, donor intelligence and proposal submission records in Gateway are complete, accurate, and utilized to analyze growth performance and to inform revenue forecasts
• Conduct cross-regional TDYs to support Agency-wide business development, as feasible and appropriate.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
• Serves with Integrity
• Models Stewardship
• Cultivates Constructive Relationships
• Promotes Learning
Program Manager Competencies (selected):
• Sets clear goals and manages toward them
• Collaborates effectively with diverse stakeholders
• Manages financial resources with integrity
• Applies program quality standards to project design and organizational learning
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: EMECA Regional Director, Deputy Regional Directors for Program Quality and Management Quality, Regional Finance Officer, Regional Technical Advisors, Country Representatives, Heads of Programming, and other Country Program project and program managers; the HQ Institutional Donor Engagement and Advancement (IDEA) team, in particular the EMECA Public Donor Liaison.
External: Potential partners, collaborators and contractors (local and international), consultants.
• Highly effective oral and written communication skills
• Strong cross-cultural and interpersonal skills. Training and workshop facilitation skills a plus.
• Ability to work effectively, achieve results, and provide mentoring and support as part of a virtual team collaborating with global, regional and Country Program staff.
• Strong team coordination skills
• Able to multi-task and track multiple priorities/deadlines simultaneously
• Detail-oriented & able to produce high quality work under tight deadlines
• Strong analytical skills, creative and strategic thinker
• Master’s degree in international development, or related field.
• Five years of relevant professional experience, including specific experience in business development for USG or non-USG public donors. Familiarity with diverse institutional donors a plus.
• Demonstrated success in proposal coordination with international and local partners using participatory processes.
• Excellent proposal writing skills
• Prior work experience in the Middle East or Central Asia a plus.
• Familiarity with Emergency Response, Education, Livelihoods and/or Peacebuilding programming areas.
• Knowledge of CRS programs and Catholic Social Teaching a plus.
Foreign Language Requirement: Fluent English writing is essential. Some knowledge of Arabic a plus.
Travel Requirement: This position requires travel up to 50% of time, mostly within the EMECA Region
Disclaimer Clause: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.