HelpAge International's vision is a world where older people fulfil their potential to lead active, dignified, healthy and secure lives. We are the secretariat of the HelpAge global network, bringing together more than 114 affiliates and 200 partners working with older people in over 50 countries.
We are looking for a Regional Communications Coordinator who understands the regional media and public relations context and who is passionate about advocating for the rights of older people. The Communications Coordinator will be responsible for raising the awareness and visibility of HelpAge and its network members in the EME region, building a strong regional profile for HelpAge, and promoting the cause of older people in a variety of ways. This will include working with traditional media, social and on-line media. He/she will contribute to the work of the HelpAge global communications team, lead on the production of newsletters, briefing papers and other publications. He/she will lead on the management and development of website and social media initiatives; manage media contacts, help build and protect the corporate brand, and support communications needs of network partners and fundraising affiliate members.
The Regional Communications Coordinator should ensure the proper implementation of the following key tasks:
- Build and maintain strong relationships with national and international media across the region to position HelpAge as a credible and reliable source of information on the issues of older people and ageing; organize media field visits, press briefings, and press conferences.
- Provide support and advice to programme staff on appropriate communications initiatives to document and make known programming achievements of HelpAge and its network members
- Help build the capacity of country teams in areas of communication for advocacy and campaigning
- Write and produce high quality communication materials including news/feature articles, website content and effectively disseminate these to key audiences
- Develop and produce internal communications materials such as newsletters, releases, email announcements, planned publications, videos, special projects and assignments
- Provide advice to senior managers in the EME region on internal and external communications initiatives in line with HelpAge priorities
- Serve as the HelpAge guardian for the region and ensure materials produced reflect the HelpAge brand and values.
- Lead on the development and ongoing management of a new regional Arabic website for HelpAge, ensuring it meets the needs of our audiences in the region and is aligned with HelpAge global and regional strategies
- Support the Kyrgyzstan-based communications officer in improving and managing the regional Russian language website of HelpAge
- Develop and lead in the implementation of a HelpAge digital marketing plan for the EME region
- Help strengthen the communications capacities of partners and HelpAge network members by providing advice and support in the development of their communications plans, advocacy initiatives, and in publicity materials related to programming and service delivery
- Provide media and communications training to HelpAge programme staff and network members where needed and possible
- Working as part of the HelpAge International global communications team, take part in regular calls and contribute to global communications initiatives and projects
- Share knowledge and good practice in communications from EME region with HelpAge global teams and network
- Work with programme and communication staff across the EME region to promote and facilitate information-sharing and learning
- Undertake regular media monitoring on relevant issues of ageing
- Undertake any other duties as my be assigned
Essential skills, knowledge and experience
The ideal candidate will have:
- A university degree, preferably in Journalism, Communications, International Relations, or equivalent
- Understanding of current media systems, traditional and new and evolving
- In addition to oral skills, good writing and synthesis skills in English and Arabic
- Confident, competent and experienced advocate
- Strong interpersonal skills and capacity to build good working relationships across diverse settings
- At least three years relevant experience in communications in development settings of low and middle income countries
- Team-working skills and ability to work collaboratively with country programme staff, network members and partners
- Proven success in development and implementing creative publicity and advocacy campaigns
- Knowledge and interest in international development and/or ageing issues
- Previous experience working in humanitarian programmes
- Strong skills in excel, outlook, media and communication tools, and other data management software.