About the job
Overall purpose of the role:
The Communications Specialist (Media) will be at the heart of creating creative campaigns and content that advance DRC’s programme, policy, advocacy and fundraising priorities. He/She will be responsible for creating and developing compelling digital and traditional media content which engages audiences in a dynamic and interactive way and sparks conversations and engagement around issues related to DRC’s mandate. They will develop and implement cross-platform media strategies, develop media relations and ensure timely and accurate dissemination to the media. The ideal candidate is an experienced writer, editor, social media expert, storyteller, relationship builder and media relations specialist.
- Strategize, create, and execute a regional media engagement plan
- Develop and implement informed, cross-platform social media and digital media strategies
- Conceptualise and liaise with the Communications Department advising on content for media consumption including for major global events
- Pitch content to mainstream and digital media to secure coverage for partners and DRC
- Develop, maintain and update media relations contact list/database. Ensure rapid and accurate information dissemination to the media.
- Lead and otherwise contribute to the development and implementation of in-house creative media content and campaigns in various formats for print media (newspapers, newsmagazines), broadcast news (radio and television) and online (online newspapers, news blogs, social media, etc.).
- Monitor and moderate social media channels, flagging risk and opportunities to reach and engagement.
- Manage the writing, development, design, production and dissemination of diverse media and news releases through a variety of media, including print, broadcast and online.
- Monitor and evaluate the appropriate and timely dissemination of media materials to target audiences, and participate in the evaluation of their impact.
- Maintain a library of media products and coverage.
- Prepare background communication and promotional materials for briefings and visits of media. Assist in the planning, logistic and administrative arrangements for them as needed.
- Conduct media training for communication staff across the Middle East as needed.
- Support in preparing requested interviews by the media.
- Provide support, guidance and help to country offices in relation to social media and media work.
- Monitor and analyse local and international media coverage related to the local situation as necessary, including on protracted displacement, Durable Solutions and Mixed Migration.
Experience and technical competencies:
- At least four years of experience in media work, preferably in an NGO or media settings.
- Proven track record of working with traditional and digital media outlets
- Excellent oral, written and copyediting skills and demonstrated ability to write and develop strong media, communication and advocacy materials
- Thorough knowledge and experience in managing social media platforms
- Proven record in creating compelling media campaigns and media content
- A strong news sense
- At least 3 years' experience working in media or journalism
- Experience working in an international NGO
- Experience delivering media or communication trainings
Education: Master's degree in communication, journalism, advocacy or similar
Languages: English and Arabic are essential