Exciting opportunity for a senior organizational leader to drive FHI 360’s strategy in the East and Southern Africa Region. The Regional Director generates funding to sustain the organization and fulfill its mission, including identifying, developing, and capturing new and emerging markets. They will lead the organization’s business and resource development efforts and assigned revenue growth initiatives. They will liaise, as appropriate, with national and local government(s), private sector representatives, civil society, and other funders and stakeholders and build on local partnerships with a drive toward localization within the region. They will provide operational oversight and will be the lead representative across the East and Southern Africa portfolio, ensuring accountability for project design, technical quality, customer satisfaction and achievement of planned results. They will resolve issues, manage risk, and ensure adherence to management standards and compliance with all relevant regulations and policies. Additionally, the Regional Director will coach, supervise, and build the skills and capabilities of staff managing and supporting projects within the portfolio.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Directs the organization to attain financial and operational goals within the business unit in support of the company’s overall financial and strategic objectives.
- Establishes budgets, short and long-range objectives, and criteria for monitoring progress and measuring success.
- Administers the organization’s policies through assigned managers and directs and coordinates activities of more than one department.
- Selects, develops, and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the division/business unit.
- Provides strategic leadership and oversight for all organizational operations in the region.
- Responsible for meeting business development targets and achieving departmental plans.
- Works with team and other BUs to develop operational/ G&A budgets that support the BU’s organizational goals.
- Manages budgets, staffing plans, revenue forecasting, and tracks financial expenditures.
- Identifies, manages and mitigates organizational risk and ensures compliance with appropriate regulations and policies.
- Develops and/or monitors regional/sectoral landscape analyses, strategic plans, revenue growth initiatives, and oversees the approval of proposals, protocols, reports, and budgets.
- Establishes, serves, and maintains partnerships with internal and external stakeholders working within the assigned portfolio to achieve strategic goals.
- Serves on various committees and teams both internal and external to the organization.
- Manages staff, ensuring alignment with strategic and programmatic goals.
- May provide technical leadership in assigned areas, ensures sharing of organizational knowledge and lessons learned, and promotes the use and application of data and evidence.
- Develops and manages BU communication plans, including promoting the organization's brand.
- Provides regional leadership for change management efforts.
- Facilitates effective and efficient project start-up and close-out for assigned projects and portfolios.
- Provides leadership in emergency situations for assigned staff, as required/requested.
- Collaborates with various departments to ensure a strong enterprise services platform for all assigned projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned by manager.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, and practices of project and portfolio management, program execution, and business process management.
- Superior policy development, public relations and diplomacy skills and experience.
- Proven skills in management, supervision, leadership, and networking.
- Knowledge of strategic planning, administrative, and financial management systems.
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills to plan, organize, and manage resources for successful completion of projects.
- Technical Experience in Public Health, Education, or related field.
- Experienced at motivating, influencing, and collaborating with others.
- Demonstrated sensitivity in cross-cultural settings, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Strong financial and human resources management skills.
- Ability to exercise judgment that contributes to the organization’s business strategies and develops objectives that align with organizational strategic goals.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a large program budget size.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues surrounding public health.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Routine coordination with all FH 360 employees, on-site and at country level.
- Works well with others to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants, and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to liaise and build strong partnerships with donors, local NGOs/PVOs partners, and public/private agencies.
- Participation in management team meetings and other appropriate forums.
- Represent organization and group at professional meetings and conferences.
- Ability to travel within the region and/or within the project country as well as ability to travel internationally if needed.
- Master’s degree in public health or related field.
- 20+ years of relevant experience in international development programs with 10+ years management experience.
- Overseas field experience required.
- Experience working with local government officials within the region.
- Experience in HIV/AIDS or family planning with international development programs highly advantageous.
- Multi-sectorial experience in the areas of healthcare, economic development, public health, and education.